River Nidd - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: River Nidd

Talk Angling User TA 750+ Club scunnyiron's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lambrettasx200 View Post
    Lance the worrying news is talking to a very good angler today is that he and his wife walk 5/6 miles every night and they start from a local pub. If they walk up steam fish are topping all over the river BUT downstream not a rise. Funny enough we have a gravel pit Spade Oak right in the middle with an estimated 200 Comorants nesting and where we fish we saw 30 of these birds diving
    Early days yet mate hope its just they have not settled in there summer haunts and not the Cormorants. They are a massive problem but you honestly wouldn't believe the amount of Cormorants and Grebes on Southfield res and it still fishes extremely well.

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling lambrettasx200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scunnyiron View Post
    Early days yet mate hope its just they have not settled in there summer haunts and not the Cormorants. They are a massive problem but you honestly wouldn't believe the amount of Cormorants and Grebes on Southfield res and it still fishes extremely well.
    Lance we saw these cormorants last year on the same stretch and there were 3 or 4 on the surface and when we clapped our hands about another 30 surfaced in a line. Honestly it was like a military operation they were about a metre apart across the river and they dived in unison for about 25m then surfacing then diving again. Honestly I was astonished because like most I was aware of the Comorant problem but to see them operating was a real eye opener. Another mate of mine saw them driving a shoal of roach up a lock cut to the gates of the lock so they were all up next to the gates then they dived and attacked at random. Of course both of these events happened very early in the morning around 6am when most people weren't around.
    John

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It wants a few shotguns down there @ the same time shoot a few once they associate an area with Danger they don't hang around as much
    Something has to be done to eliminate them,
    But we know its never going to Happen ,They are Vermin cold Killers not native to our country & they have been added to the protected Birds list "WHY"??
    Bloody stupid laws passed by Bloody Stupid Do gooder's that haven't got a Clue 👹👹
    Colin

Talk Angling User TA 750+ Club scunnyiron's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Got to admit John never seen them operate like that , I know people round here have had to take the law into there own hands to protect there livelihood, seems that's the only option as Col says if its not to late!

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling lambrettasx200's Avatar

[QUOTE=scunnyiron;778196]Got to admit John never seen them operate like that , I know people round here have had to take

Lance, its true mate I couldnt believe it but they are so organised, we blanked on the 16th then Franks gardener Jeff fished the next day claiming we were wallies. guess what he blanked. we have problems mate
    John