Hi Everyone
register with talk angling fishing chat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Everyone

Talk Angling User Registered member

Default Hi Everyone

Well after 55 years I did it. What you might say to which I would respond caught a fish. Ok its not going to feature in one of the angling mags as it was the size of my hand but flipping heck I actually caught it.
    The last time I can remember going fishing was when I was 11 back in 1962 and I am pretty sure I didn't catch anything. It was on the river at Edenbridge Kent so some of you might know whether there were fish a plenty to catch there or not back in those days.
    All these years later in recent months I suddenly began to watch the fishing programmes on tv and it got me thinking that it might be time to give it another go.
    Initially I thought I would fish for Carp but after talking to Jonathan at Polegate Angling Centre we had a great chat and I agreed that as a beginner I would be better to start off catching Silver Fish which is a term I had only recently heard of.
    So after buying some reasonably priced gear ( haven't told the wife but even after one session I am thinking of upgrading) I set off for the lake yesterday.
    And boy was Jonathan right I have a lot to learn about casting, Landing, removing the hook etc and for now small fish are fine by me.
    I would hate to think how I would of dealt with removing the hook from an heavy Carp as its bad enough on a small fish. So you might say at 66 I have begun my apprenticeship in angling.
    Now I just cannot wait to go again ( next week ) and last night I got licences for my two youngest grandsons so hopefully in years to come when I am gone that is one thing they will remember me for.
    Just sorry it took so many years for me to realise what a great sport past time angling is.
    Looks like the motorbike will be gathering dust for a while now.
    Apologies if I have gone on a bit but at the moment I am like a kid with a new toy.
    What do they say " keep those lines tight "

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth TEAM RATTLER's Avatar

Brilliant intro that mate. Put some fuel stabiliser in your tank, drain your carbs, and have a Viton o-ring kit ready for when you have to rebuild them lol. Sound advice from your man in the shop...hopefully your pension is going to stand all the future visits to angling shops because as you've already found out this great sport is addictive.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Cyber bully apparently....

Talk Angling User TA 750+ Club Tysontim's Avatar

Good for you mate, its never to late to start fishing and as you have grandchildren to take with you that will be even better.
    As you learn more you can pass it on to the grandchildren (or vice versa) and you will enjoy that too, its a great sport pleasure or match
    whatever you decide.
    Hope you enjoy every minute of it as thousands of others do week in week out.
    Tight lines.

Thanks for the welcome Team Rattler & Tysontim
    Already got a " what have you bought that for " from the other half when my Trakker coat was delivered this afternoon.
    Response " because you don't think I am sitting indoors this Winter do you ! "
    I have clearly got it bad already.

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth TEAM RATTLER's Avatar

Hope the tracker has big pockets cos you'll be smuggling stuff past the mrs before long!
    Cyber bully apparently....

Quote Originally Posted by TEAM RATTLER View Post
    Hope the tracker has big pockets cos you'll be smuggling stuff past the mrs before long!
    Yep already thinking Team Rattler whether I will get a new reel in the pocket. And of cause there's always " well the boys need some gear " to justify upgrading.

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Whale Redtail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome to Talk Angling
    http://againstmenandfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Talk Angling User Double Ton martin56's Avatar

Hope the guy in the shop didn't let you leave without a couple of different sized disgorgers ??

Welcome to Talk Angling - Loads of very good advise - We're here for you bud.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B]

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TEAM RATTLER View Post
    Brilliant intro that mate. Put some fuel stabiliser in your tank, drain your carbs, and have a Viton o-ring kit ready for when you have to rebuild them lol. Sound advice from your man in the shop...hopefully your pension is going to stand all the future visits to angling shops because as you've already found out this great sport is addictive.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Great advice about the Bikes Drain the tank & carbs ,i always disconnect them when leaving Bike in Storage
    Colin

Premium Angler Site Life Member Rick b's Avatar

Keep in your car some of your boxes that you have had your bike bits delivered in or carrier bags when you have picked bits up from the local bike shop.
    That way when you've been and had a spend in the tackle shop, you can put them in said bags, and walk straight past the Mrs into the garage with a smile and say, just got some bits to put the bike in storage love.
    River anglers Go with the flow.