hooklength breaks
register with talk angling fishing chat
    Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth hawb81's Avatar

Default hooklength breaks

fishing the waggler yesterday close to a bed of lillies, when i hooked a carp it headed straight for the pads as i hit the spool to stop it going into the pads, snap, hooklength gone, silstar 014 and 018, preston power line 013, these carp are 1 1/2 to 3lb but are strong, this pool is rammed with them and is lightly fished, i could stop them on power line 017, is it that the line could be faulty, there are some complaining about silstar breaking but im surprised that power line 013 snapped

Talk Angling User Senior Member

I would step up your line anyway, If the pool is rammed with them as you say, and lightly fished, cant see them spooking from the line,
    I find when fishing the method feeder close to pads on one of our waters, unless I step up the hook length the mad small carp will break the line from the initial first bolt to get in the pads.
    Could it be your line is breaking on the knot,

Blog Entries

How long a hook length are you using? remember that you dont have the cushioning that the pole elastic provides, the shorter the length the easier the line will snap, I would go at least 12" and providing the depth is fine go to 18". You could also try a hook length in Maxima. or a line that is not pre-stretched

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth hawb81's Avatar

have to be careful because if they do get into the pads i will need the hooklength to break