Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

advice re double hook rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice re double hook rig

hi gentlemen, got some fishing coming up its for roach removal & im looking for some pointers on double hooking! best set ups /tangle free rigs etc. its only gonna be 30 yards or so Ive not seen it done but i know its used in the northwest a bit. would appreciate rough sketches if possible..........fish are generally 6oz - 1lb.................................. thanks in advance!........

Originally posted by lilpinkie View Post
    hi gentlemen, got some fishing coming up its for roach removal & im looking for some pointers on double hooking! best set ups /tangle free rigs etc. its only gonna be 30 yards or so Ive not seen it done but i know its used in the northwest a bit. would appreciate rough sketches if possible..........fish are generally 6oz - 1lb.................................. thanks in advance!........
    Roach Removal -???????
    Bike racing, match angling pensioner.

Comment

A few years ago we used to use a double hook method on the Trent called the dink dink. It involved setting the feeder as normal then placing a short 2" or 3" hook length 10" to 12" above the feeder for Skimmers.
      A lot of anglers locally would use this method. Having said all that if Roach are not in the waters you fish in sufficent numbers then find another target or another venue.
      I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
      He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

dont worry its an offical removal of roach from a game water to stock club waters as the fluff chuckers dont like paying for trout fishing & catching roach! its done anually with all permits for fish transfer in place.........not that its gonna make much difference to the roach stocks ...but it certainly benefits the club fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lilpinkie View Post
          dont worry its an offical removal of roach from a game water to stock club waters as the fluff chuckers dont like paying for trout fishing & catching roach! its done anually with all permits for fish transfer in place.........not that its gonna make much difference to the roach stocks ...but it certainly benefits the club fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Why don't they just give the fly fishers a keepnet and ask them to keep any coarse fish they catch for transfer to other waters at a later stage??
          Steve

Comment

thats not really practical........when you consider whats involved with fish transfer..... storage/transportation/time/ costs etc- especially when you consider what the trouters are paying for a days fishing & i think it would take them about 10 yrs to get what we catch over a few sessions!! + its a few days on a water we dont normally get to fish catching prime quality roach!! ........happy days..

Comment

Fair point, I didn't really see it like that, I was thinking maybe they could have a separate pool to stock the roach into that the game anglers caught then maybe net it once a year and transport the fish off to another site, but I suppose not really practical, plus like you say good excuse for some quality roach fishing for you, get on the hemp and caster!
              Steve

Comment

I doubt a double hook rig would be any more effective than a single(fishing two rods might be a better option).
                More to the point,how do you avoid the trout? they are absolute suckers for most baits that you would be using for roach,the reason any method trout fisheries are are quite a rarity.
                Anyway,as stated the easiest set up is a standard feeder with a dropper tied in above the feeder,the problem being if you crack off above the dropper the feeder could be caught up on the top hook should a fish be hooked on the bottom hook and could not shed the feeder if hooked on the dropper.
                Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Working...
                X