Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

wormeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wormeries

are wormeries easy to look after as i have just bought one of e bay the one with 3 trays
    i have read somewhere that that the ones whith seperate trays are better
    what is your opinion. cheers & tight lines worms

seperate trays ? hows that work do you have a link

JC
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B][U]Carlsburg Disgorgers[/U][/B][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

stoke

hi i call it seperate trays it might not be classed as that it is from stoke worms they are on the net also they have a e bay shop i got the 60 litre one cheers worms

Comment

Hi
        Hope no one minds me coming into this thread and forum ...

I saw the question from the op about keeping a wormery, and would just like to clarify that they are very easy to mAnage.

Just remember the golden rule .... do not overfeed and give them loads of shredded paper and cardboard

any questions please ask

Ronnie
        Wormcity Wormery manufacturers - worms for composting and fishing

Comment

Welcome to talk Angling Wormcity

How long you been in the worm game ? You might remember some trial runs done with certain greater London councils with a product called the worm machine. that was about 20 years ago now and something I designed, We even had one at the Angling Times office at one point.

Interesting idea with the stacking but im not sure it would generate enough worms for the match / club angler it would probably be ok for the pleasure angler who might use a few dozen a session, interesting concept none the less, and certainly very tidy. one of the problems with our worm machine back then was the depth of the wheelie bin type container, and the compression over time of the casts, the stacking system is a great way around that but how does that fair in the type of weather we are currently experiencing.

I also noticed the Dendrobena veneta seems to have been renamed in my absence and is now Eisenia Hortensis whats all that about

JC
          [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
          [CENTER] [/CENTER]
          [CENTER] [/CENTER]
          [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
          [CENTER] [/CENTER]
          [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

jc,you had a dictionary for xmas??!!
            talk anglings villiage idiot:p

Comment

nope a grandad trolly why ?
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

thanks

thanks for the info it seems like all i can do is try & see how i get on cheers fellas worms

Comment

worms

hi worm city or justin case if i want some more worms to put in my wormery what would you reccomend
                  Last edited by worms; 6 January 2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Well the package you got seems ok, a mixture of dendra's and brandlings will munch away as long as you keep feeding them, if you keep them out of the frost they should breed away quite happily and your stock will keep replenishing itself, but then that also depends on the amount of worms you typically use in a session.

One tip worms, its rarely mentioned but if you can get coffee grounds worms adore them that is the waste product from fresh coffee machines, that and tea leaves seem to be a preferred food source and when I had the farm we used to get through literally tons of it.

Im not too keen on brandlings a great composting worm but apparently bitter to eat not that I have eaten any, I would stick to reds and dendras, you can buy them by the kilo anywhere mate just search on google the Dendra's range from 10 to 18 pounds a kilo, I think wormcity sells them seperatly, but what ever you do dont put lobworms in your set up
                    keep them seperate mixing lobs with any other variety can lead to disaster

JC
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

worms

thank you very much for the advice cheers worms:

Comment

great escape

i have read somewhere worms escape from a wormery until they are settled is this true.

Comment

Hi Justin
                          You might remember some trial runs done with certain greater London councils with a product called the worm machine. that was about 20 years ago now and something I designed
                          I was just a wee lassie 20 years ago

we have been selling worms and wormeries since early 2005, most fishermen like dendras, as they grow nice and big, and survive for some time under water, not sure when the name changed to be honest - dendras are still known as Dendrobena veneta or european nightcrawler....
                          However a lot of sellers also call dendra worms - tigers or brandlings which isn't the case at all

Regards

Ronnie

Comment

i have read somewhere worms escape from a wormery until they are settled is this true
                            yep this is true - more so with dendras (european nightcrawler - given the name for a reason)

imagine being imade to live in a room without a beer and your favorite comfy sofa - thats what its like for a worm in a new home
                            basically you have to think of a new wormery as a sterile environment, until it gets some bacteria, some moulds, nematodes and other things worms love to live with they aren't that happy. The easiest way to get your worms settled is to add some garden soil, old used compost (from plant pots etc).

For most people the worms will settle down anywhere between 3 - 10 days - you will still get the occasional wanderer, but they breed so quick they are soon replaced.

Ronnie

Comment

worms

cheers for that advice also my wormery came today it has got a clear plastic lid on the top tray should i paint this black cheers worms

Comment

Working...
                              X