Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Best bait for carp/tench - Canal fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best bait for carp/tench - Canal fishing

I'm going down the canal tomorrow with a couple of mates and have only caught a few bream, roach and perch in the canal. Anyone no of any baits that particularly apeal to carp or tench. Also, what sort of weight fish would you expect from the canal.

Replies would be much appreciated,

Ant

Hi mate,
    I'd go for chop worm + caster, maybe bread punch. Although if they get fished for pellets/corn may well work too?
    Cheers...Mark
    Can't catch enough.....

Comment

Thanks for replying

Do you know what sort of size carp/ tench I would be looking at? I'm just fishing a spot at the local canal. Although I have not been very successful, I have heard there are some decent sized fish in there, some double figure.

Comment

tek a pint of casters with thee they will catch owt that swims
        nige cooke

Comment

Originally posted by Ant_9 View Post
          Thanks for replying

Do you know what sort of size carp/ tench I would be looking at? I'm just fishing a spot at the local canal. Although I have not been very successful, I have heard there are some decent sized fish in there, some double figure.
          Which canal are you fishing Ant and which 'section'/area ?
          Even when I draw a half decent peg fate conspires against me...............:(

Comment

Thanks guys

I'm fishing the GUC near Greenford. Went today actually with a couple of mates but was totally unsuccessful Is it just my tactics do you think ?

Comment

I would only fish early morning or late evening mate. A lot less disturbance from boats and the lower light levels would help also. Caster, worm, corn and pellets would be best as already said on an earlier post.

Comment

Yeah, used worms and corn today. Would you reccomend flavoured, as i used strawberry, or is plain corn the best? What sort of time would you say ? I got there at about 8:30am and was there till about 2pm. Although there were few boats the heat was quite intense and there were very few shady spots. Is it true about fish hugging features such as reeds and trees and what should the area i'm fishing at be like ? ( Trees, reeds around ) etc.

Comment

My club has part of the GUC in Marsworth and there are some huge Carp in there. I am talking 20lb+ and probably a few nearer 30lb.

Be prepared for real lumps so take strong gear. If there is any sort of snags then you might have trouble getting them out.

Late evenings is when they seem to feed so try and get down there after 6pm if you can.

Any bait will work as long as you get them feeding.

Chop worm for feed and a big worm on the hook seems to work well...

Comment

Thanks Nd, you have given me hope once again . Woudl you suggest I head further up towards Tring and where you fish, or will I still be able to get some decent fish in the greenford area? I will try in theevening and hopefully should have more success. As for in the morning, what time would you say I should go and is it worth going in the morning or is the evening much better?

Comment

Plain corn i would say. Fish as tight as you can to bushes and reeds. Trees and bushes are generally best. Though if there are any permanently moored boats carp love being around these. They give free offerings and cover,they love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant_9 View Post
                        Thanks Nd, you have given me hope once again . Woudl you suggest I head further up towards Tring and where you fish, or will I still be able to get some decent fish in the greenford area? I will try in theevening and hopefully should have more success. As for in the morning, what time would you say I should go and is it worth going in the morning or is the evening much better?
                        I dont really know much about the GUC in your area. If you can get down to Marsworth i think you should try there. Its a day ticket but the baliff never comes round so more often than not you can fish for free.

Its better to fish in the evenings up until dark i would say.

Comment

Thanks Both of your advice has been extremely helpful. I'll try and fish as close to these features as possible. I think I will definately try and get up to Marnsworth soon and will try some later fishing. So plain sweetcorn is the one to go for and also bring caster and worms ? Would that bait be for the smaller fish, and if so what would I need for bigger carp ?

Comment

I would just use a worm on the hook. Feed chopped worm and a bit of caster to get them in the swim feeding.

Last time i was there we fed a cup full and we started getting plenty of bites and caught Skimmers. As soon as the bites died down a bit it meant the Carp had moved in and then all hell broke loose...

Comment

sounds good! What ground bait would you recommend or what mixes?

Comment

Working...
                              X