Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Storing worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing worms

I have found a excellent source of free worms however once they are safely tucked away in my bait box what is the best way to store them, and what should i put in with them?. Some people have suggested damp torn up newspaper. Whats your opinions chaps? Many Thanks

Damp shredded paper is good finely shredded potato skins tea leaves and coffee grinds are all good, keep them in a bigger tub though with a lid and air holes

dont add too much water if you see any dead ones get them out
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B][U]Carlsburg Disgorgers[/U][/B][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

if your source is really good dont bother storing them just get enough for what you need for a couple of sessions,there is no need to feed them this way.
      but keeping them in newspaper is best anyway and does provide a food source,dont bother ripping it fold it into about four (A4 size) and put itr in the bottom of a pillow case,put a hand ful of worms on this,then cover with another fold sheet,(wet the paper a little),then add more worms,and so on until you get a block tie the pillow case up and keep cool and damp,thing is dont have to many keep getting fresh.

Comment

Thanks Guys for the replies, i had to chuck away about 200 lobs and dendros yesterday morning and was gutted! Hopefully that wont happen again. Should i also keep the worms in the fridge?

Comment

dont put lobs with any other worms if one dies they all die, the fridge is best but if you want them to breed in your container then room temp is fine
          [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
          [CENTER] [/CENTER]
          [CENTER][B][U]Carlsburg Disgorgers[/U][/B][/CENTER]
          [CENTER] [/CENTER]
          [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
          [CENTER] [/CENTER]
          [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

worms

best way to keep dendras is in a pillow case as long as you keep them from over heating keep them moist and feed tem with potato peelings and tea leaves.

also sources quality dendras as quite a few worm suppliers are of poor quality may be cheaper but dont last.

as for lob worms use a large container with the holes drilled around the sides dont ask me why but it works add a moss,old leaves and damp shredded newspaper should keep them for weeks .

Comment

Or you could put them in a wormery. That way you can take what you need, when you need and return any left over after your session.
              The worms will breed and continue to give you a source of good free bait and you will also get a fantastic source of compost and a decent way of getting rid of all (non meat) food leftovers, newspaper etc - much better than landfill

google "wormery" and you'll get loads of options

Comment

moss and leaves withsome vine grit mixed in .sorted

Comment

Would love to start up a wormery but i live in a flat so the lack of a garden could be a problem. Have thought about creating one out of a recycling box, at least it would be put to good use then

Comment

Working...
                  X