Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

What to feed when using meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to feed when using meat?

Afternoon All.

Went to one of my local lakes yesterday, and as per usual, I fished luncheon meat.

As I was there all day, I thought about feeding a few swims up with corn and pellets.

For information - Pellets and groundbait can only be used when bought from the club house.

So, after feeding all day (a few pieces of corn and about 10 pellets (mini)) on each cast, I still stuggled to attract the fish into the areas I was fishing (margins, lillies and overhanging tree).

At the end of the day, I started getting rid of the luncheon meat I wasnt going to keep, and throwing 4-5 cubes in (ran out of corn, and kept the pellets) with the first few casts.
    After about 5-10 minutes, I was getting a bite with every cast, waiting no longer than 1-2 minutes before I got a bite. The fish just seemed glued to the spot (a different sport compared to those where I had fed up all day - although I did fish the spot before I started throwing in meat).

So the question is, should I be feeding meat if fishing meat?
    Would corn distract from the meat on mhy hook?
    Is there anything else I could thrown in to draw in the fish?

Main species is carp (although there are skimmers, ide, tench and the odd barbel).

Thanks for your help.

I would always feed what you are putting on the hook chap... if feeding meat I like to have some cubes dyed red as a change bait as well.
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Cheers Simon.

Will definately do this next time (in fact, if I remember my best session in fish/hour, it was probably last time when I used meat as feed).

What about mixing meat/corn as a feed?
      Groundbait - Good as an attractor or holding fish?
      If i'm using about 5-8mm cubes for bait, should I throw in same size pieces, or throw in smaller pieces?

Cheers again.

Comment

another option that i use to use especially when pellet is banned or ur looking for an alternative. Slice the meet fairly thin and push it through a ridlle, creating like a mince meat then dusting it thoroughly with fishmeal powder the night before. used to work really well for me.

Comment

Cheers Mout.

Sounds like a good idea (can you use groundbait instead of fishmeal?)

Actually, someone at the lake showed me about making pellets from meat using a straw. Some thin slices, and perhaps some pellets (although riddle sounds easier and quicker).

Fantastic advice chaps

Comment

As Oneabung says feed what you have on the hook, just make the hookbait stand out by being larger. And mout has the same opinion as myself, thin slices of meat pushed through a groundbait riddle, dusted with whatever gives you confidence and groundbait would be fine.

Neilio.
            The inspiration behind the Maver C-Loc method feeder.

Comment

Have started to take out some meat after I have cut it and dust with garlic powder have had some good results with it seems to pick up fish that are a little bigger and you not waiting for a bite as long
              A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work?????:p:eek:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

If you can be bothered with the mess and stink - get 1kg bag of fishmeal based groundbait and 6 tins of meat, liquidise the meat in a blender with some of the GB - you should get a really fine oily dust called MONKEY DUST - its absolutely deadly when fed using a sprinkle pot and fishing meat over the top.
                Simon Young
                Admin
                Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Working...
                X