Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

1st winter fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st winter fishing

This is the first time i will have ever fished a winter i fish a commercial filled with mainly carp but has a good amount of silver fish. I was told by one of the fishery people to scale down tactics. one problem i have is tht using the line i am i keep on getting break offs from the carp. is there any baits which will limit the number of carp in my swim?. i fish the waggler on the bottom

Carp will come to almost any bait, perhaps you need to look at how you set up and how you play them?
    I'm happy to fish for carp with 3lb hooklength in the winter and expect to land fish to 10lb without too much trouble on the waggler. Needs a nice soft rod and keeping the tip low until they are ready for the net.
    The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
    Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
    Check out:
    www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
    log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

what would u call a soft rod i have a m4 middy feeder rod, a abu match rod and a middy carp rod. i now the carp rod would be two hard which one would you recommend out of the other two??? could a silver fish groundbait help????

Comment

Without knowing exactly which rods you have it is difficult to say. Some rods, even if sold as match rods, are far too stiff in the middle to land big fish without a lot of care. The Abu may be OK, depends on the model.
        As for a silver fish groundbait, carp will still feed on it if they are in the vicinity and fancy a munch! Carp are basically pigs with fins, they'll eat anything and ruin any swim.

Check out:

Comment

ill find away to put them off its a abu enticer pro match. i found tht when i once used bream groundbait all i caught was bream. maybe it does work im going to try some silverfish groundbait properly dynamite baits frenzied hempseed groundbait match fine. ill tell you how it works going fishing next saturday or sunday

Comment

Hope it goes well. If the carp do muscle in (and they love hempseed!), just remember to keep your rod down to one side, preferably with the tip under water, while you play them. They will not fight anywhere near as hard then and you will only need to raise the rod once the fish is under your feet and ready for netting.
            Good luck...

Check out:

Comment

thanks i wil need it hopefully the carp will stay away might try and distract the carp with a method feeder further out see if it keeps them away from where im fishing hopefuly anyway

Comment

That may be the best option, good luck...

Check out:

Comment

just wondering what your opinion is but what is the best silverfish bait im thinking maggots, corn and hemp. i read in a magazine that elderberries were good so might give tht a go

Comment

if you use elderbrries put a bit of tipex on i do it then looks like hemp
                    work is for people who cant fish---i want a job

Comment

good idea might try tht ,genius!!!:P

Comment

no you dont need to put Tipex on Elderberrys i feed a bit of hemp and put the elderberrys on hook ,its better than Tares because they are softer on strike ,
                        .most elderberrys will be finished now all gone

Comment

no they arent there are still quite a few in my garden got about 75 should tht be enough???

Comment

Working...
                          X