Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Bait help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bait help!

Hey all,
    today i fished a match and i didn't do so well lol. I fished with punch and maggot on my local lake and only took 4lb1oz, won my section still lol. But in like 5 weeks i have another match there and i was wondering what baits you lot could suggest. It has recently been stocked with 2500 skimmers, 250 F1s, 250 tench, 250 crustys and 500 chub, but you hardly see the skimmers and the chub. Help?

Also another match in 3 weeks on a lake containing a good head on bream and roach and quite a few tench and A LOT of little rudd. Any help for this too?

Ty peeps

corn or expanders and maggot should be great baits and for the one in 3 weeks groundbait and castor and maggot fished over top should be fine hope this helps
    mitch.
    :DFishinG Is GooD,CatchinG Is BetteR:D

Comment

Yes i agree fish castor and maggot but when fishing castor throw 3 to 6 castors over youre float every 30 to 40 seconds and this method should bring a better size roach as they will come up for the castor.As for the bream i suggest feeder with groundbait i add liquid mollases to the water before i put it in the groundbait and works every time for me i also add pellet and corn and do really well on it.Hope this helps you out. Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Did you ask the winners what they did that was different from you?

It may be that you need to just keep plugging away on a single bait, perhaps maggot. Or maybe you need to fish a more exclusive bait like pellets or corn for bigger fish.
        The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
        Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
        Check out:
        www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
        log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by stevelockett View Post
          Did you ask the winners what they did that was different from you?

It may be that you need to just keep plugging away on a single bait, perhaps maggot. Or maybe you need to fish a more exclusive bait like pellets or corn for bigger fish.
          I know the winners used chopped worm and castor but they could win the grand prizes, £70+, but since im only 14 i can only win section for £10 and the bait price and the entry would make me lose money.

Comment

OK, that's a sensible way to think. What kind of fish are they catching mainly?

Check out:

Comment

Each person in 1st, 2nd and 3rd caught 1 mirror carp about 5lb and the winner got 2. I did lose one early on in the match as i was on a 0.10mm hooklength and fishing near some lilles. Theres only 4 bloody pegs on the lake with lillies and i had to draw one of them lol.

Comment

I would try corn for the carp then. Decide where in your swim they are most likely to be (probably close to the bank in 3' of water. If one area is in the sun, that will be the place to start) and go straight in with a proper rig on (4x10 slim float, size 18 B911, 0.16, 8-10 elastic) and a single grain, no feed.
                If you don't have one within five minutes, you can drop a couple of grains in for later and keep feeding two or three grains every ten minutes until you fish it next.
                Meanwhile, start feeding your silver fish area with maggots and swap to it once you have had a carp or put the carp rig up the bank for later.
                Kee trying the carp area every half an hour, but only for five minutes at a time. If one is there, you will have it or get indications. Don't get sidetracked though, even if you get indications, only give it five minutes, then refeed and go back to the silvers.
                Hopefully you will start to put 4-5lb of silvers togther every match and possibly land a carp every second match...good luck

Check out:

Comment

You can probably fish similar on the other lake, but feed the corn out as long as possible and step the rig down to 0.14 or 0.12 if the bream and tench are only little ones (2-3lb). If groundbait or pellets are allowed, try putting out 3 balls at the start, either GB or dampened micros and a bit of corn and leave it to settle for half an hour. Then top up as fishing corn for carp, but try another ball if you have fish and they dry up.

Check out:

Comment

Originally posted by stevelockett View Post
                    I would try corn for the carp then. Decide where in your swim they are most likely to be (probably close to the bank in 3' of water.
                    lol the only trouble is that the area i fished had a max of bout 2 1/2 foot of water at 13m and like 1' close in.

Comment

Working...
                    X