Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

gozzers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gozzers

I'm keen to have a go at gozzer breeding, I think I've got all the info necessary but is it possible to attract the gozzer fly this late in the year

Can't see it...Haven't done any for years, but it's not difficult, just use Chicken Pieces, half covered in a Tray...With Tin or similar, over the top...Just leave enough gap, for the Blow-Fly to get in & out...Keep an eye on it, else you'll get too-many 'blows', resulting in 'Stunted' Maggies...

If needs be, scrape some eggs off, it's a smelly process, but when you've got your quota, put 'em somewhere cool, to get munchin'...Bran 'softened' was the recommended medium, for storing the fat lil' s...

If you've done it right, you should end-up up, with a Soft Slow-Moving 'Roly-Poly' Bream Teaser...

Comment

I think you'll struggle this time of the year, gozzers come from the green bottle fly & the best time to get a blow is after dark. We used to use heart or pigeon but as said above limit the amount of eggs on the meat.
      I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
      He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Originally posted by jethro View Post
        I think you'll struggle this time of the year, gozzers come from the green bottle fly & the best time to get a blow is after dark. We used to use heart or pigeon but as said above limit the amount of eggs on the meat.
        I thought that pinkies came from the greenbottle flt ?

Comment

You could be right it's just as I remember, I'm very old.

Comment

Originally posted by jethro View Post
            You could be right it's just as I remember, I'm very old.
            LOL. I seem to think its a special fly that lays after dark , but then again it could be a normal fly that gets up before me in a morning ,lol . To be honest I've had more success with sour brans because you can just leave it to get on

Comment

Richie I've just been on the phone to a friend older than me & he doesn't remember either which fly it is but like me he knows the blow is made after dark, he seems to think the soft maggot could be something to do with the bran that the heart is placed on whilst in the tin till the maggots mature. I've still got green bottle buzzing around my head though as I don't remember my gozzers being particularly large just white & soft.

Comment

We need a new member to join(maggot breeder).
                Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Just PM EDGAR what he ds'not know about gozzers you could wright on the back of a postage stamp

Comment

I did this quite a lot, years ago (when i had a much bigger garden)

Use a shoe box with a 1" square hole in the side, and FRESH meat, (chicken is best but heart, lungs form pigs or sheep is much cheaper, ask a butcher for a bag of 'lights')

The flies you want lay eggs on fresh meat in the dark, it doesnt have to be at night, flies are more active in the warmest part of the day, you could struggle on colder days but there are still plenty around at the moment.

Once the meat is blown, wrap it in newspaper parcel put in a deepish bucket and cover it with slightly damp bran (from any petshop)

After about 4 days the meat parcel is just a soggy liquid mess and the wet newspaper splits open (the smell is beyond words) the maggots start to creep away from the food and into the damp bran, which i dont think they eat, it just cleans them off. Big fat creamy coloured maggots !

Timing is key, you want the maggots coming off the feed at the very time you want to use them once they stop feeding they start to dehydrate and shrink.

If i wanted gozzers for Sat fishing i would start them on Tuesday.

Not sure if my method was the best, but it worked for me.

Like i said i had a big garden which backed onto woodland, you dont want the smell anyway near your house !

I found this article which might help a bit.

"One of the most difficult parts of breeding maggots at home is to make sure you get your blows from the right sort of fly, depending upon what sort of flies you are after.
                    Merely to put out the meat and leave it to fend for itself is to invite a real mixture of flies and this results in a useless assortment of mixed types of maggots.
                    The maggot that most anglers will want to breed for themselves and, fortunately, one of the easiest to breed, is the gozzer. It is reckoned to be one of the easiest because it comes from the only fly that will blow the fresh meat in the dark.
                    This fly comes from a close relation of the bluebottle whose scientific name is Callifora vomitoria. The gozzer cousin is Callifora erythrocephala. The two flies are of similar size and colour but the gozzer fly is not shiny like the bluebottle.
                    The other big difference, as I have mentioned, is that it will lay eggs in the dark on fresh meat. However, both breeds of fly will blow fresh meat in the light or stale meat in the dark and it is this that sets the gozzer fly apart"

Comment

Good info there NJH, we knew we needed fresh meat & a blow in the dark we used to think that keeping the maggots in the dark ie. a closed tin with bran kept the gozzer soft but you sound like you know what your on about. Our best efforts were achieved by limiting the eggs to about 100 it still stunk of ammonia though.

Comment

Working...
                      X