Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

winter feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter feeding

hi this will be my first winter fishing didn't have too many problems catching in the summer but since the cold weather has come i seem to be strugling any advice on bait or how deep to fish as i have only fished on the bottom CHEERS.

feedin

hi mate wot venues do u fish and wot do u fish for?

Comment

winter feeding

ok ben i'v been fishing on comercial waters one is mainley carp of all sizes the other's are a mixed bag a bit of everything i need a bit of advise on everything really CHEERS

Comment

On deep venues the fish can be any depth but start on the bottom and see if you get liners, if so come up. For big carp on most venues it is better to feed nothing atall but for F1s, stockies and silvers just feed little and often, like 2 - 6 pellets or maggots every few minutes and fish fine like 0.10 to a 18 hook for pellet, 0.08 to a 22 for maggot. But for big carp still fish 0.18 to a 16 or 20 Fox series 2 with a hair rig and either a big piece of punched meat, corn, pellet, bread or marshmellow (have to use that at hayfield cos bread is banned!)

Comment

If you want to catch silvers and carp at the same time you need a compromise pole rig and elasic set-up. I use either Preston 11H Hollo or a doubled No 6 latex through the no2 and no 3 sections of my pole. This way you won't bump the roach, etc, but you will be able to control the bigger lumps too.
          I tend to fish straight through in the winter with .12mm line. This way there are no potential weak links between float and hook. A Kamasan B911 in a size 18 is good for me, and I punch small pieces of meat, a 4mm or 6mm punch being about right. I use a fruit shoot cup on the pole tip and I will feed in a dozen grains of hemp and two or three pieces of punched meat about once every 15 minutes. Once an hour I might also feed a fruit shoot pot of 2mm feed pellets which have been softened by pre-soaking them overnight.
          This very frugal approach seems to work or me on my local water and it's possible to ctch up to 10 carp at a sitting.
          In winter you ned to feed lightly, fish a balanced sensible rig and elastic, and take a big flask!
          Hope this helps.
          DD

Comment

Trevg new mem, great info will try this myself never carp fished in winter, thinking of going to hallcroft I hear they have a good mixed fishery, not tried this area always fished the drains in Lincolnshire cheers DD

Comment

winter feeding

thanks lads all good info but if i start fishing off the bottom how high do i raise the bait and whats the best bait to use up in the water CHEERS

Comment

I find banded pellet (i use trout pellet) or hooker pellets (i use tuna jellets from VDE) good for fishing up in the water.

Some times even meat but then i put out hemp and casters.

Hope this helps.

Adam.
                The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but obtainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
                [url]http://carpsmart.net/ourshop/prod_957389-MARINE-SUPREME-10kg.html[/url]

Comment

Re; shallowing up to find the bites...
                  With pellet or punched meat I try to fish at dead depth, meaning the depth from the pole tip flush with the water surface to the hook, in the bottom of the plummet. I mark the pole with a white chinagraph pencil, which you'll find at hobbycraft and art shops. You can simply wipe the white crayon off the pole after use.
                  When you plumb, as you hold the pole tight to the rig, if you feel the line 'flick' that is a line bite and tells you A - there are fish in front of you and
                  B - that they could be at any depth off bottom.
                  Start at dead depth and give it 30 minutes at least to see if your light feeding does not draw them to the deck to feed.
                  If no bites are forthcoming I'd suggest shallowing up by four inches at a time. it might take you five or six depth adjustments until you start to get bites. Once you find the depth they are feeding at, mark the pole with the pencil and you have an instant depth reference if you trash a rig and have to start all over again.
                  Hope this info is of use to you.
                  Why do carp sit off bottom even in winter? If it has been raining heavily, as it has this past week, what happens is that the rainwater, which is colder than the lake water, sinks to the bottom and creates a cold layer or band. The carp hve a choice, sit in this old layer or swim above it, into a warmer layer. It;s like ehwn you go on your hols to the Med and have a dip in the sea. You'll be swinmming along and then swim into a warmer bit, or a cooler bit. This happens in our fisheries, too, and the carp vote with their fins!
                  DD

Comment

Originally posted by Dastardly Dog View Post
                    Why do carp sit off bottom even in winter? If it has been raining heavily, as it has this past week, what happens is that the rainwater, which is colder than the lake water, sinks to the bottom and creates a cold layer or band. The carp hve a choice, sit in this old layer or swim above it, into a warmer layer.DD

I think i may need to make some zig rigs up then lol
                    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but obtainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
                    [url]http://carpsmart.net/ourshop/prod_957389-MARINE-SUPREME-10kg.html[/url]

Comment

try caster if you want some Roach sport and chuck 4 to 6 casters over your float every 30 to 40 seconds this will bring the better roach and fish shallow as they will come up for the caster.And dont forget the pinkies as well i have caught carp on these in the winter Fluo pinkies. I use an mp float for this 2x10 and 4lb main rig line and 2lb hooklength.Also remember in winter feed Little and often.Just in case the carp arent playing have some roach fun.

Comment

I don't get this fishing on the bottom all the time for Carp - since when have you eve seen carp in a pond all sitting relaxing on the bottom, 99 times out of 100 they are going to be swimming at a set depth - the hard bit is just finding them!
                        Simon Young
                        Admin
                        Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                        web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

The reason that MOST fish are located off the deck in colder weather is indeed due to them wanting to sit in the warmer layer of water (thermocline)
                          I'm not too sure about DD's theory on the cold rainwater sinking to the bottom and creating a lower cold layer as it would have to pass through the thermocline to get there therefore creating a more even temperature through the water column. This probably explains why in winter when it rains the fishing can be dire but in summer showers it can sometimes be very good. Summer showers also create higher dissolved oxygen levels in the water so that too will have a bearing on how the fish behave.
                          Thinking about it there may be an element of truth to DD's theory as in these flash downpours or prolonged periods of rainfall as there will also be water that RUNS into the lake at some point either via a drain or even just down the banks. This wouldn't have to travel the full water column as it would just crawl along I suppose.
                          I always thought that the main reason for any temperature exchange was primarily down to wind contact with the water surface.
                          The cooling wind blows the surface layer from one end and when it gets to the other end has to undercut itself thus creating a circular motion with just the top and lower layers being exchanged. This also works the other way with a warm wind but with a slight difference, as warm water will want to rise naturally you may find that one end of the lake will start to fish better than the other as it warms up quicker (the windward end) Everyone knows that warm winds in winter don't last forever so some lakes may never warm up at one particular end for ages creating areas which seem barren of fish and also creating the winter fliers. Obviously depth and shape/contours of the lake will have a bearing on how the water exchange occurs.
                          I've tried to put down all my theories on the subject whether they are correct or not, but if anyone else can add to this i'm sure it'll help everyone this winter in some way.
                          MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

This cold water sinking and warm water rising has got to be a load of ****ocks! Youre telling me that if I pour a cup of cold water into a hot bath there will be a cold layer at the bottom! Anyway water below a certain depth doesnt go below 4 degrees C as if this was the case with cold water sinking and warm water rising if the air temperature was low for too long not only would the surface of a lake freeze but the whole water body would freeze solid! I am more inclined to go with RATTLERS wind theory and circular motion.
                            Simon Young
                            Admin
                            Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                            web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I did not come up with my own theory that cold water goes to the bottom - it was knowledge imparted to me by Neil Machin, and he's not exactly a mug angler is he?
                              Basically, I was preparing to fish a match on a carp canal and it had rained solidly for two days up to the match. On the eve of the match I phoned Macho and asked what he'd do. He told me to fish the slope up to the island that runs all the way along the centre of the canal, "in the shallowest water you can find". he explained that the carp would be there, not a metre away from the bank in three feet of water, as the rain would make the bottom layers that much colder. And this was in August!
                              I finished fourth in the match, ounced out of third spot, with 26lb of pellet-caught carp. Had I been a more proficient pellet angler I might have won the match, but that was three years ago and I'm a far more experienced pellet angler now!
                              Another angler I have had the opportunity to fish with is 2008 UK Champion Paul Coyle and he wins plenty in winter fishing at half-depth.
                              Cheers
                              DD

Comment

Working...
                              X