Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

A carp anglers basic bait the musts! ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A carp anglers basic bait the musts! ???

hi all im going to be shopping for bait and im going to target carp and poss tench.

what is your must have basic baits, brands named if you can cheers.

Im new and not got much of a clue.I feel im constantly winging it as i cant find a local mentor to show the way.

my local free pools are always being fished for preditors untill the weather warms up it seems hard to meet on the bank to get good tips.

ive caught a few off boilie and chopped boilie pellet corn. but as i say im just winging it and dont really have a clue what im doing. in the basic baits that a carp angler must have.

i want to get away from boilie as my local day ticket water do-not allow them.

i have ledger bomb, Korda methods, open-ended feeders and a home made Banjo feeder for pellet, pva mesh boilie size. also pva tape.
    but what specific baits are best while not using boilie. and how to present it.

Names and brands would help massively if possible.
    [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
    Speci Carper

Tarks, for starters mate i would get some hemp and i would get down the supermarket and get some sweetcorn.

Without over complicating things or spending too much money, youve got a good base there to start with.

Regards,
    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Comment

Cheers, so with hemp and corn as a bed and i presume corn haired what rig setup would be best, Ledger?

would i use a 2mm pellet with the hemp and corn on a method or just hemp and corn with ledger on its own? spicey hemp or plain
      Last edited by Tarks; 4 April 2010, 12:04 AM.
      [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
      Speci Carper

Comment

You could hair rig 1 or 2 grains of corn, you could try cubes of luncheon meat too. Just be careful when visiting private fisheries as some dont allow hemp, some insist that you only feed their own pellets, as well as a whole load of other rules and restrictions.

Otherwise just experiment mate and dont go thinkong that theres a right and a wrong way to fish, what works for one angler may not work for another.

Oh and dont forget one of the best baits of all time - the humble maggot! simply hooked onto a size 20 hook as a starting point either on the pole, float or ledger or feeder.

All the best
        To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Comment

Thanks,
          looks like im out on the meat, corn and hemp then 2moro. my local pools owner lives in south africa and has let the area go, its a free for all. So luckily im free to try out anything. its a spot on expirence gainer.
          only problem is its a bit of a tip and alot of fallen trees have made it very snaggy. but you take it as it comes its all part of learning the water your on i guess.
          Speci Carper

Comment

sound advice it seems many thanks blueser,

has anyone else got a different view?
            Speci Carper

Comment

Make sure for tench especially that you are tight on the bottom
              even on a warmish day they still feed on the bottom
              and if using meat then smaller cubes withh be more neccisary than big ones for carp
              [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
              [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
              [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
              [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

Nowt wrong with winging it Tarks. Good way to learn, and it gives you an edge on those that just follow the herd.

Blueser's right. There's no need to spend loadsamoney on hi-tech baits. Caught my best fish ever on a commie on hair-rigged corn and groundbait feeder. Peed off the 'proper' carpie on the next peg so much he packed up his alarms and rod pod and went home.
                Maggots will catch anything that swims.

K.I.S.S. is my philosophy.

Comment

I have had great success with chic peas in mossalla sauce from asda they work well for bream and carp hair rig em.Also try polony it,s a polish sausage meat,I also use bacon Grill flavoured with sweet chilli sauce or curry powder.And of course the old favourite corn.I have caught on the feeder and carp set up with these baits.Hope this helps a bit mate.

Comment

6 inch over hard on the bed i didnt catch a thing Tench wise i was on my swim at 3am till 11am not a bean, on corn, chopped boilie, worm, hemp luncheon meat even frankfurter sausage, maggot all colours.

i fished 6 over on a float hooked bait, haired bait, i even tried 8 inch over with a putty blob to weight the rig down.

chic peas next then lol I WILL CRACK THIS WATER AND HAVE A TENCH OR TWO OUT.LOL
                    Speci Carper

Comment

Never mind mate i went on Friday and only caught 8 Bream and i was there from 7 till 6 i think the frost the night before had a lot to do with it as the temps dropped again.

Comment

id be made up on 8 bream what did you bait to catch them?
                        Speci Carper

Comment

I caught em on Punched 6mm bacon grill on a korum quickstop hair.on the feeder using red grounbait with added aniseed flavouerd grounbait

Comment

cheers for that
                            Speci Carper

Comment

Tarks , mate have you thought about the particle side of things?? are they allowed ? what size fish are you targeting aswell i have loads of tips.... Are you useing match gear or proper carp gear? Particle side of things is TIGER NUT they love em... fished over a small bed of hemp killer method and now if you soak your hem p in salty water you can use it in pva mesh bags as it won't melt it and carp love salt... this time of year the carp are just begining to be a little more active so not to much bait. I have a load of ideas i can bounce your way just ask...

Comment

Working...
                              X