Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

HELP!!! Needed with chub fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! Needed with chub fishing

hI All,

I am a keen fisherman and have been for several years, however there is one thing that is driving me round the twist. !

I fish my local river very often as it has some amazing chub in there, i fish on chopped worm and castor. the river does have a nice tint to it most of the year.

The problem i have is i hit about 4 nice chub at 3 to 4 pound, all these caught in a row, then it goes dead. !

Now i believe this is due to the fish being scared, how can i get past this and keep them feeding,

I would also note that i travel quite heavy as i stay on the same peg all day as i go prepared. i no this could be a bad thing that i am not walking and fishing different pegs.

Somebody please let me know of a way to keep these chub feeding all day long.

Could well be right there mate. I'm not an expert by any stretch!

The shoal may have been spooked. If I were you I would keep doing whatever seemed to be working for the 3 or 4 you had caught previously and stick with it. You could always try just feeding (not casting for a while) to get the confidence back in the shoal to come on the feed again.

I suppose you could always try roving for the day and travel light. You might find you catch rate increases if you experiment with a few swims.

Comment

In my experience river chub of that size live in 'pods' of around 4-8 fish. It's probably as simple as spooking the few remaining fish. I would either fish a few different lines and rotate where you are taking fish from, fish a roach line and drop in on the chub intermittently to take a couple, or do a John Wilson and wander up and down baiting a few swims and return along the length roving around in silly green clothes :-D
      [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][I][COLOR="pink"]Team Teepot Match Group[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

If you find/know of a peg that holds large numbers of chub, buy about 4pints of maggots, fish 4-8 maggots on a size 12 hook trotted on a medium stick float, feed a handful of maggots, wait about 10-20 seconds then cast it and trott as close to the tree/raft (assuming that is what you are fishing) and this way you can hit 20-30 chub in a single large holding point..... dont be worried about the smaller fish, they are less abundant around large chub as they are food
        Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
        Perch-3lb
        Tench-5 1/2lb
        Carp-15lb
        Barbel-10 1/2lb
        Chub 5 1/4lb
        Roach 1 1/2lb
        Rudd 2lb
        Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Do they allow keepnets on this stretch of river,mate? If so,it could be an idea to stop the chub spooking the rest of the shoal away. If not,as the guys say-travel light and fish a few swims,catching a few fish from each and moving on. A great way of fishing ;-)
          Last edited by paul k; 16 September 2010, 03:40 PM.
          Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
          Alwight tweacle?

Comment

For really big bags of Chub you need a lot of bait. If you are fishing the one peg for the day take about 8 pints of maggots.
            The trick is to get em competing before you start to plunder them. fish another line for an hour or so while you give em some feed, you must keep it going in, even when playing a fish. Once they are competing you should be able to put together a big bag. Taking 3-4 fish early on before the fish have settled will not catch you big bags.
            On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

If they do not allow keepnets then take a large landing net aswell, and put the chub in for about 10mins to calm down, then they swim away happily not scared. Ultimately it prevents the other chub that are feeding being scared too easy. But the main key to success is heavy feeding and alowing the swim to rest. Doing this you are likely that some barbel may also move in and grab your hookbait, this will also be a fish that will sta under there provided you still feed heavily
              Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
              Perch-3lb
              Tench-5 1/2lb
              Carp-15lb
              Barbel-10 1/2lb
              Chub 5 1/4lb
              Roach 1 1/2lb
              Rudd 2lb
              Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Me and my dad fish river for barbel and chub very often, i once had 90lb of chub/barbel out in a day whilst roving...but my dad on the 1st day of season 149lb of chub and barbel out using this method in a few hours, once fed less t save bait, the more the bites became less frequent
                Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
                Perch-3lb
                Tench-5 1/2lb
                Carp-15lb
                Barbel-10 1/2lb
                Chub 5 1/4lb
                Roach 1 1/2lb
                Rudd 2lb
                Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

guys,

Thanks for all your help on this i now think i know what i need to do. If any others have got any other ideas, shout them out !.

Hopefully now i'll have a good day with plenty of chub.

I was a bit dubious about coming on here but it's the best thing i have done in terms of getting advice.

Just keep feeding is the main idea i'm getting, So thanks to you all !

Tight Lines !

Comment

Just keep feeding is the main idea i'm getting
                    Feed heavy aswell thats the key

Good luck
                    Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
                    Perch-3lb
                    Tench-5 1/2lb
                    Carp-15lb
                    Barbel-10 1/2lb
                    Chub 5 1/4lb