Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

OK,got some molehill, what do I do with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK,got some molehill, what do I do with it?

It seems quite sandy, and there doesn't seem to be any discernable whiff. Just riddle it and chuck it in?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

what do you mean you have some molehill? Are you using it as a binder for groundbait?
    Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
    Perch-3lb
    Tench-5 1/2lb
    Carp-15lb
    Barbel-10 1/2lb
    Chub 5 1/4lb
    Roach 1 1/2lb
    Rudd 2lb
    Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

molehill doesn't bind, most soils are added to add weight without binding, as are most leams and loams. Clay, mineral, peat and sand content all affect it's behaviour, colour, activity and suitability for joker beds. There are a couple of really good free articles on matchangler.com that would be a good place to start
      [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][I][COLOR="pink"]Team Teepot Match Group[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Iv heard and tried molehill soil as a binder, it works and also makes it a darker mix which fish feed more confidently in... not the best obviously but when you have nothing else to hand, it can work quite well in my experiance although not well enough for balling out great distances.

Just out of curiousity seeing to know a fair bit about groundbait, what is the best binder you know of?
        Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
        Perch-3lb
        Tench-5 1/2lb
        Carp-15lb
        Barbel-10 1/2lb
        Chub 5 1/4lb
        Roach 1 1/2lb
        Rudd 2lb
        Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

molehill does not bind! It enables you to make firm balls due to the moisture being held in a platelet structure rather than granular, but I absolutely guarantee it disperses your balls QUICKER underwater for exactly the same reason. Try it in a test tank and see.

Depends what you want the binder for, to add feed and sticky property, PV1 collant is a good bet, but as it's derived from a corn sugar cattle feed it adds a lot of food value to the mix, as doea molasses. For binding soils and low feed groundbait, grey leam or dried calcium carbonate clay or gypsum are good bets. Use VERY sparingly thougn or you end up with plaster lol
          [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][I][COLOR="pink"]Team Teepot Match Group[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

il take your word on that because iv only used it on a short sesson when i found some brown in my bag with nothing else to go on... Iv used that PV1 and i found that pretty good and is a fair price too...Thanks for the advice btw saved me from finding that out the hard way
            Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
            Perch-3lb
            Tench-5 1/2lb
            Carp-15lb
            Barbel-10 1/2lb
            Chub 5 1/4lb
            Roach 1 1/2lb
            Rudd 2lb
            Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

its something i'm really interested in, gone are the days where you mix up half a bag of whatever you've got lol! If you want to see really advanced stuff, look to the french. Reading declic peche etc shows that even clubbies tailor there mix from dozens of raw ingredients depending on the requirements

Comment

I have riddled it, and it's still damp enough to form a ball with a firm press. I think I'll knock it up with some chopped milky hemp & hemp and see what happens. It would be nice to get the chopped hemp down to the bottom before the bits have an awayday on it.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

wether moil soil binds or not would depend on the soil itself ! I mean some moils live in a clay bassed area so their hill would have binding properties.
                  I use soil often i find that i seems to attract less perch and ruff when using it ,Personally i think this is due to the fact that it causes less of a cloud again subject to the soil itself!
                  With moil soil you can match the colour of the bottom which isnt the case with clays or leems ........If your moil soil doesnt bind grey leem will help.
                  I mix my groundbait 50/50 with moil soil just like clays/leems and always take the fresh ones at least i am almost certain of no dog or cat pee...........Just look at the struckture of the hills its evident if they are fresh!

Comment

if your adding the molehill soil to groundbait make sure you over wet the groundbait thorouthly as the molehill soil will suck up a lot of the water out of the groundbait

Comment

when you collect it make sure its fresh and that no dog has cocked its leg up over it,i used to riddle it there and then and leave all the big stuff there.the next step is to dry it out and then riddle it in a squat riddle a couple of times chuck the bigger stuff away,on the bank you need an atomiser but dont overwet it,its perfect for catching perch over not alot of joker in the mix, youll have to cup it in a tight area use it when groundbait aint needed or when groundbait will do more harm than good in the heart of winter. a good tip was to add black tracix with it to cause a suspended cloud over your fishing area.ive caught good nets of roach over it too but you need to do a few different things

Comment

A cheaper alternative to tracix is cement dye from a builders merchants. Just be sure there's no hint of an undertow or it's a worthless exercise.
                        MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

Well, I had this for a while, and only got round to fishing today.

I think I'd say it was a posetive result, I fished a swim where previously I had not had a great deal of luck. The other week , I fished 2 pegs up and watched a lad that looked like he knew what he was doing struggle to get a few bits in this swim. I only chose the peg today to give me some shelter from the wind, as my preffered peg 2 up was occupied.

I mixed it up to a damp to sticky consistency with some cooked liquidised hemp, and threw in a half a dozen satsuma sized balls into both 11m and a margin swim, and caught well all day, inbetween annoying crucians came carp between 4 and 8lb, on paste made from a load of old baits knocking round the freezer: prawns,mussel and fishsticks, liquidised and bound with fishmeal, all over the molehill mix and hemp fired in with the catty or pot.

Good free groundbait I'd say! Probably does less harm to a smaller water aswell.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                          X