Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Winter nearly upon us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter nearly upon us

With the forecasters saying we are in for a chilly spell the next few weeks, i am taking it as read that winter is not far away. I still want to use the Method, are their any Baits that will be successful more than others during this period ?

Just the same really, pellets and meat but for pole and waggler fishing maggots and casters can be good on some venues. Also I normally find October and November to be 2 of the best months for up in the water fishing.

Comment

Is that because in general the water temp has dropped a bit but if we get a warmish day those top layers warm up the quickest Nath? Or some other reason in your opinion?
      Simon Young
      Admin
      Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
      web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

That and that they feed up before winter when they feel it getting cold.

Comment

hi mate, the answer to your question on fishing the method in colder months, i generally find that the smallest method in the box is best with a fine mix of fishmeal and brown crumb, and for your hookbaits dead red maggots or a very small piece of hair-rigged meat and a 16 or 18 hook.and for hooklengths i would use a 0.13 but that would be determined by the size of fish i am targetting, and the swim.
          cheers
          dave

Comment

I've just finised my first Summer as an Angler.

Could peope tell me in general what fish you can and can't catch in Autumn and Winter? I have only ever used float.

Thanks

Comment

Can catch any fish at any time of year but eels are rare in winter and carp can be hard to catch and shoal up tightly but if you get on the shoal you can really bag up! Chub and Ide normally feed well in winter as do roach and perch.

Comment

Originally posted by NathanWatson View Post
                Just the same really, pellets and meat but for pole and waggler fishing maggots and casters can be good on some venues. Also I normally find October and November to be 2 of the best months for up in the water fishing.
                are you still using hard pellets up in the water in oct and november or is it best to switch to mag or expander

Comment

Originally posted by stevie yome View Post
                  are you still using hard pellets up in the water in oct and november or is it best to switch to mag or expander
                  Yes, always hard pellets, never expanders. Caster and maggot can be better at some venues with few silver fish.

Comment

Cheers Nathan.

Comment

lead up to winter or in winter up in water consists of pellets with expander on hook or if really hard have the maggots ready and start feeding them with expander on hook.
                      gonna sound wierd but had more successfull days in winter up in water than in any other time.
                      just because its cold does not mean its gonna be all on the bottom, there is more to weather then temperature

Comment

hi
                        read this in a koi keepers mag,might be relevant,the fish themselves do not have any control over there body temperature,
                        it just stays about 1degree above the water temperature,so if long cold spells fish not so active dont need so much food,
                        and they also say do not feed any hi protien food,as being more difficult to digest .fish do not have stomachs and have to process all food in a certain time,
                        if not it could rot inside them.
                        thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X