Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

keeping casters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping casters

ive been making my own casters for over a year and i was keeping them at first in airtight plastic bags but was getting bag burn so i started putting them in a black towel inside a large vaccuum pump but every so often i was losing the vaccuum and the casters were going very dark and floating and i am losing about 3 days of casters, i have now started to put them back in airtight bags but am getting bag burn again even though i am taking them out of the bag every day. if i keep them in water until i need to use them will it ruin the casters

Still wrap your casters in a cloth bag and then place in a decent quality freezer bag suck all the air out and leave in it until you need them !!
    in Fridge prefferably !!
    If you just leave them in water they are not very good !!
    Colin

Comment

if you leave them in water you'll have to change the water about four times a day and wash the casters to rinse the old water off them

Comment

im using tesco resealable bags and the cloth is too big, i flatten all the air out

Comment

rinse them in cold water, then put em in a bait box with some damp newspaper on top ,then a piece of plastic on top of that to seal them (i use a freezer bag) try to fill the box with casters, so there's no space in box, put lid on & put in fridge, can keep up to a fortnight! Phil.

Comment

Dont keep them in water....it kills them and they will go sour

Comment

I put mine in cloth cash bags from the banks
              i damp them slightly and put about 1pt casters in them i then place in a good quality food / freezer bag take all the air out and tiethe bag opening into a knot .
              Dont use ties they leak
              As rjays said put them in water they will go sour
              However if your casters have gone realy dark and float chuck them in a bucket of water overnight and they will all be sinkers by the morning !!
              then use them same day or within 2 days
              I always use Bigger bags than i realy need!!
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by phillyfingers View Post
                rinse them in cold water, then put em in a bait box with some damp newspaper on top ,then a piece of plastic on top of that to seal them (i use a freezer bag) try to fill the box with casters, so there's no space in box, put lid on & put in fridge, can keep up to a fortnight! Phil.
                i have always done this too and is without a doubt the best way of keeping them

Comment

mate casters am still living things and they only have a 3 day life span after that they start going of if you catch them while they are still just past white in colour put them in a black bag take all the air out the bag put them in the fridge but everyday open the bag let some air in then reseal it, and when you go fishing if they need a bit more colour on them just leave the bag open in the car on the way to colour them up mate but i wouldnt keep casters that long anyway always take fresh, keep them dry mate as well while they are in the fridge
                  [SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][SIZE=1][SIZE=7]malman floats[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][SIZE=5][/SIZE][B][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

Comment

ask yourself one question - does a fish say to itself i am not eating that caster its got bag burn ,when we are in ireland or holland we use anything that sinks -most casters in holland are in formaldahyde(embalming fluid) anyway, we even crush floaters in groundbait - big hybrids like nothing better than crushed casters and double or treble black caster,fish on commercials will eat anything,so if your casters are ok now and you are happy,except for a few burned ones dont change anything.

perfect casters are a human need not a fish one.

Comment

Working...
                    X