Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Wild common carp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild common carp

Hey guys, on a quarry near me very out of the way and unfished....there is absolutely tones of big carp drifting about everyware on warm days... some probly ranging to 30lb...now the strange thing about these carp is they was intrested in me and swam over to have a look what i was doing, they sat and watched me for a while. I was lure fishing so couldnt really do much to catch them

Now, what bait and tactic would you use i was thinking worm just under the surface but i know sod all about carp because i never fish for them so any pointers
    Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
    Perch-3lb
    Tench-5 1/2lb
    Carp-15lb
    Barbel-10 1/2lb
    Chub 5 1/4lb
    Roach 1 1/2lb
    Rudd 2lb
    Bream 6 1/2lb

I would start introducing floaters like dog biscuits over a period of time to get them used to associating them as food.
    Be warned though, if they are true wild strain which i doubt as wildies don't grow to that size they will wise up very quickly.
    True wildies are very lean, long and fight like the devil.
    On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

I think maybe someone's going down the lake and feeding the carp,mate-that's probably why they came over to you when they saw you,they thought it was dinner time! So,I'd try and find out what they're being fed on,probably pellets would be a good starting point.
      Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
      Alwight tweacle?

Comment

Id say dog food floaters, pond pellets or even just the old bread and see what they do.
        if you dont see them take it you'll never know.
        is this a day ticket water or a free area for no.w Either way it sounds strange to have big carp in a working quarry pit.

big carp rarely come and see what your about unless they are met very regularly and never fished for.

there are some decent 15-20lb linier mirrors that moonlight so to speak at king liers lake (watermead park, leicester) its by a foot bridge crossing the water. they swim under it on there sides looking right at you as soon as anything goes in the water they spook and never take anything you ship out. they just seem to like looking up at you before they swim off.

let us know how you get on. The location may be nice to check out.

ive been with friends who have tried day after day to catch them and they just dont feed in that area.
        [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
        Speci Carper

Comment

Wel i can say its kinda strange the sheer amount of carp that are in there....and there are some koi too....now its a very old quarry lake which has matured nicely and is out of the way of people so no one ever fishes it but was quite popular for people swiming it (inc myself)... but these commons that came up looked powerful lumps of muscle just lean and perfect condition but i dont think people feed them because it was only one tiny group of 4 commons but i think their un fearful nature to humans may be due to the amount of swimmers there used to be
          Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
          Perch-3lb
          Tench-5 1/2lb
          Carp-15lb
          Barbel-10 1/2lb
          Chub 5 1/4lb
          Roach 1 1/2lb
          Rudd 2lb
          Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

keep going down with a loaf of bread and feed them for a week then go for them with floating crust

Comment

bread is always a winner even if people feed them or not as most people lob bread in for ducks and the fish collect the missed offerings.
              [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
              Speci Carper

Comment

thats the reason why i said bread not dog biscuit if they ve never seen them b4 theyll ignore them

Comment

Very lucky find there reynolds!

Sounds like fishing heaven, even if they are a bit tamed.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

im not someone who enjoys fishing commercials so finding somewhere like this where the carp are completely natural makes me want to try to catch them as i know it will be no easy feat....iv had a go before with biscuits and bread to no avail although i think they was spawning back then but i think if i bait it up i may have a chance

Cheers for the advice guys

and il let you know how i get on next time i go
                    Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
                    Perch-3lb
                    Tench-5 1/2lb
                    Carp-15lb
                    Barbel-10 1/2lb
                    Chub 5 1/4lb
                    Roach 1 1/2lb
                    Rudd 2lb
                    Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Any luck mate?
                      Speci Carper

Comment

Nope havent been, like i say ponds dont really enthuse me so i fish them rarely. thanks for asking though. Most likely will give it a go come close season and il let you know then
                        Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
                        Perch-3lb
                        Tench-5 1/2lb
                        Carp-15lb
                        Barbel-10 1/2lb
                        Chub 5 1/4lb
                        Roach 1 1/2lb
                        Rudd 2lb
                        Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Get stuck in before they go to ground !
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Sorry luke im too busy enjoying pike ATM. plenty of fish on lures just under 20lb keeps me going back for more
                            Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
                            Perch-3lb
                            Tench-5 1/2lb
                            Carp-15lb
                            Barbel-10 1/2lb
                            Chub 5 1/4lb
                            Roach 1 1/2lb
                            Rudd 2lb
                            Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Working...