Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Freelined Lobworms for BIG Perch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freelined Lobworms for BIG Perch!

No doubt you all know that Lobworms catch BIG perch, but have you ever freelined a big worm? Some of my biggest catches (including the 3lb 1oz perch in my avatar) have been on a freelined worm.

My favourite way of doing this is to use a 5lb mono mainline with a 4" trace of braid to allow natural presentation of the bait. I then use a Kamasan B980 barbed size 10 hook. (I know it's anal to give the exact type of hook but I swear by the Kamasan 'B' range and they're particularly effective for this type of fishing). On the mainline about 6" away from the hooklength I like to put a splitshot on to give some casting weight. Don't go bigger than an SSG though and try to use just one. Hook the worm in the head so that the hook shank is inside the worm with the tail end hanging nice an low away from the hook point, this helps to avoid deephooking and allows for more positive takes.

For rivers:
    Cast this past where you know there's a submerged ledge and then slowly reel it in, jerking it along as you go and bring it towards you over the ledge.

For Stillwaters:
    Cast alongside covered banks, through weed, next to tree roots etc. Reel in slowly but jerk the rod as you do so.

A take should start as a few tugs and then the fish should start kicking against you. After that it's all yours!

I use a Drennan E-SOX Spinflex 9ft rod. It's the best spinning rod I've ever used and have never read a bad revue. Fantastic value for money too, think it retails at the £50 mark, I got mine on eBay for £34 but it's worth it for £50. You could pay twice as much and still not match it. Good luck, let me know how this works for you.

Nice one mate. I did this a few times in the canal where I grew up. had a few decent perch, although not as big as the ones I had on lures. Great fun though.
    [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Lure fishing for big perch is one of my favourite ways to fish... i frequently have 1.5-2.25lb perch on lures, my largest being 2.5lb. never had a go at this but sounds like it may be worth a go but a 3lb perch is a great fish mate well done. i plan on a fish like that next year.

Ever tried drop shotting? i think im gonna give that a go soon
      Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
      Perch-3lb
      Tench-5 1/2lb
      Carp-15lb
      Barbel-10 1/2lb
      Chub 5 1/4lb
      Roach 1 1/2lb
      Rudd 2lb
      Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

today i was in a match and had a rig setup but wasnt catching, i saw loads of little fish topping near reeds and then perch topping so i popped the rig in which was about 1/2 foot overdeph and then a slow bite which was hit and played a 1lb 10oz perch on 6 elastic. overall was 3lb 6 oz with 4 fishing including this perch.
        was quite happy with the result of the perch

Comment

Originally posted by Reynolds2k7 View Post
          Lure fishing for big perch is one of my favourite ways to fish... i frequently have 1.5-2.25lb perch on lures, my largest being 2.5lb. never had a go at this but sounds like it may be worth a go but a 3lb perch is a great fish mate well done. i plan on a fish like that next year.

Ever tried drop shotting? i think im gonna give that a go soon
          Sweet, I rarely get a perch on a lure, only ever small blade spinners. What lures are you using?

Don't think I've heard of drop shotting, what does it involve?

Originally posted by rugbystar55 View Post
          today i was in a match and had a rig setup but wasnt catching, i saw loads of little fish topping near reeds and then perch topping so i popped the rig in which was about 1/2 foot overdeph and then a slow bite which was hit and played a 1lb 10oz perch on 6 elastic. overall was 3lb 6 oz with 4 fishing including this perch.
          was quite happy with the result of the perch
          Nice one, what bait was it on?

Comment

it was on single red maggot as using 20 hooks

Comment

Oh I see, you weren't targeting perch specifically then?

Comment

drop shotting is not very known in the UK look on youtube for it us do some tutorials on it. look pretty good though
                Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
                Perch-3lb
                Tench-5 1/2lb
                Carp-15lb
                Barbel-10 1/2lb
                Chub 5 1/4lb
                Roach 1 1/2lb
                Rudd 2lb
                Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Brilliant, just seen what it is, that's similar to a sea rig for cod or something, I've been looking for a frshwater version! Cheers mate.

Comment

Many years back we used to tie a weak weighted link to the top trace swivel with a floating(often a shakey big s) plug,this could then be fished slowly close to the bottom but weight losses(steel nuts collected from outside GKN) on snags were a problem.
                    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

get a fly rod i have had them to 3lb 12oz on the fly 8ft rod 5 weight line great way to catch big perch on canals
                      stainforth angling full of loving for all ;)

Comment

Working...
                      X