Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Tinned peas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinned peas ?

Has anyone ever used tinned peas as hookbait?

I only ask because my father in law occasionally feeds them to his fish and they love em!

Cant imagine they would cause any problems to the fish as they are as natural as sweetcorn?
    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

We used to catch some massive Roach on peas in a place called Taylor Park in St Helens many years ago.
    Used to ledger them at distance, You have to use a brand that stays on the hook though and i can't remember which one we used to use.
    On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

does it work in the colder months if so i will try

Comment

They seem to want them in the father in laws pond!

only need a top 2 though lol
        To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Comment

There was an article on peas in one of the fishing papers round about the time they were promoting the virtues of doubled up elastic, I gave it a go on a pleasure session with garden peas, had couple of decent roach, but had more on paste that day. Its worth a try as an alternative, for what they cost, keep tin in the boot.
          If you can't laugh at yourself, life is going to seem a whole lot longer than you'd like.:D:D:p

Comment

I've always wanted to try them, but never got round to it. I reckon they would be a good winter bait as fish tend to eat filamentous algae and other vegetative material at this time of year as other invertebrate food tends to be more scarce. Feed with a green betaine based groundbait (betaine is a good 'vegetably' smell and a good attractant) and fish a pea on top. Maples peas (grey peas to black country folk) are well documented as a bait of years gone by. One of the Marukyu seaweed based grounbaits would also work me thinks.
            [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

I'm deffo gonna try em!

Comment

I gave peas ago awhile ago by mistake as i had bought a tin of sweetcorn and peas rather than just corn caught plently of shimmers and a few bream on them i put it down to them looking like pellets

Comment

Ive wondered about using petti pois as they are small and seem firm.I dont know why we should be surprised if peas work as stuff like sweetcorn does.Ive caught carp on salted cod,seen carp caught on baked beans and we all know about shrimps or prawns.Ill give the petti's a go next year,i shouldnt think they would harm the fish?You never know a match approach could be one tin of mushy black country peas cupped in.Then loose feed the petti pois over the top.Fish a petti on a 16-14 hook,and every now and then go over the top with a big marrowfat pea for a lump.LOL.
                  cornerstone.

Comment

Originally posted by cornerstone View Post
                    Ive wondered about using petti pois as they are small and seem firm.I dont know why we should be surprised if peas work as stuff like sweetcorn does.Ive caught carp on salted cod,seen carp caught on baked beans and we all know about shrimps or prawns.Ill give the petti's a go next year,i shouldnt think they would harm the fish?You never know a match approach could be one tin of mushy black country peas cupped in.Then loose feed the petti pois over the top.Fish a petti on a 16-14 hook,and every now and then go over the top with a big marrowfat pea for a lump.LOL.
                    cornerstone.
                    Very good cornerstone!

or if your from Yorkshire, you could feed peas and gravy, and put a pie on a big hook in the margins! ;-)

Comment

spring pools my local fishery is very good for its roach and they tend to tap at baits and are extremely hard to catch so it might be a bait for there that picks out speci roach and gets a good bite im going to try it (i caught a carp on a kidney bean once )(yaaaaay)

Comment

As previously mentioned, my father in law feeds them to his fish and they love them, he squeezes a few up into a mush and chucks them into the pond and they go absolutely made for them!

Comment

Many years back there was a canning factory at Evesham, with a discharge point into the Avon and peas were a regular product of the factory and they caught many a bag of fish , the secret was to find out what was being canned at the time and use that on the hook. The chub below the bridge at Evesham was also noted for having a taste for the humble chip.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Weused to have to feed our goldfish peas when it was constipated.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Just a thought Luke...........how do you tell when a fish is constipated?????????????

Comment

Working...
                              X