Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Meat dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat dilema

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding preserving luncheon meat?

Now that its cold, i feel reluctant to open a tin of meat as i only want a few pieces for hookbait.

If anyone has ever tried it, you will know that freezing meat makes it float!

Has anyone ever tried freezing, defrosting and pumping the meat in a pellet pump? just wondered if it would make it sink?

Failing that, how long can you keep meat in the fridge for once it has been opened?

Its a bit expensive to just use a bit and throw the rest away dont you think?
    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

hi mate,
    i would have thought if you keep it in an air tight tub in the fridge,it should keep for a few weeks between sessions. i often just freeze it,and as long as i let it thaw out properly it doesn't float. are you using a meat with a high fat content?
    Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
    Alwight tweacle?

Comment

If you freeze it then defrost it try giving it a light fry with some spices as they all get absorbed into the meat and it sinks again
      Last edited by jaybagpuss; 22 November 2010, 12:23 AM.
      Don't you just love it when your daughter kicks your ass:o

Comment

been freezing and defreezing luncheon meat for years with no problem, never had it float not once. but l dont think you could call spam etc expensive, 1 tin is roughly equal to half a pint of maggots price wise

Comment

Originally posted by nutmeg View Post
          been freezing and defreezing luncheon meat for years with no problem, never had it float not once. but l dont think you could call spam etc expensive, 1 tin is roughly equal to half a pint of maggots price wise
          The point i was making nutmeg was that its expensive to only get a few pieces out of a full tin
          To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Comment

Try frying it with garlic and chilli ,extra flavours and the meat becomes a little firmer so stays on the hook better.
            Don't you just love it when your daughter kicks your ass:o

Comment

make a couple of butties with the left over for your lunch

at this time of year l agree the amount of bait you need for a pleasure session drops dramatically, but like l also said l have been freezing luncheon meat for years and have never had it float not once, and l have never had to resort to pumping it. the cubed meat l have frozen at the moment is covered with vision baits amino complex liquid, the bloodworm version l have had some cracking results using this for silver fishing.

Comment

I freeze it all the time and never have a problem, wouldn't fry it as it wants to be soft!

Comment

Originally posted by NathanWatson View Post
                  I freeze it all the time and never have a problem, wouldn't fry it as it wants to be soft!
                  What brand do you use Nathan?

Comment

I use Bacon grill and as someone said i use half a tin for bait and make butties with other no waste lol

Comment

Bacon grill all the way.
                      Great stuff.
                      In the winter be sure to cut all of the excess fat off the meat before fishing.
                      [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
                      [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
                      [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
                      [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

Plumrose but in winter, for punching out at close to medium range, I prefer Polony, normally the Sommerfield or Morrisons 1 but Tesco, Asda, Co-Op all good and it's cheap!

Comment

ye well cheap natan 99p for a load in b and m bargains.Natah how many times woul u rebait and cast on the feeder in winter

Comment

After every fish if i was using punched meat
                            Dont want to spook or overfeed them
                            If i was fishing small feeder would put about 12 maggots in a 3/4 ins home made feeder pugged both ends with micros
                            and chuck it every 1/2hr
                            My theory is the fish get used to bait lying there before picking it up
                            Would think Nathan would do something similar
                            Colin

Comment

One of the best brands used to be Tulip
                              but we struggle to find it round here lately
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X