Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Fluorocarbon traces for pike.....Oh yes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluorocarbon traces for pike.....Oh yes

i do alot of lure fishing as i enjoy it greaty. So i decided to try the savage gear fluorocarbon traces. I have great faith in savage gear as EVERY one of their products is top notch and dont usualy buy anything else. Anyway, on my recent trip to ireland i used the FC traces, I landed 5-8lb pike and 2 14lb pike all on the same trace with hardly any damage.

I am now converted from wire as it is almost invisible.

just thought anyone who enjoys lure fishing may fancy trying this as it can help to get those wary pike to attack. The only issue is the price, 7 quid for 3. In my opinion it is well worth it
    Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
    Perch-3lb
    Tench-5 1/2lb
    Carp-15lb
    Barbel-10 1/2lb
    Chub 5 1/4lb
    Roach 1 1/2lb
    Rudd 2lb
    Bream 6 1/2lb

Traces

I have to say I tried this on a friends advice, landed one ok but the next one bit through, I lost the fish which was not a monster but even worse I lost it with a lure in its mouth and that really bothers me.
    I went straight back to my tried and trusted multi stand flexi wire.

Comment

what pound FC trace was it? and what make?

it bothersme if a lure is lost in a fish for the fishes sake not my wallets....so i do try things provided it has a low chance of harming it, i even crush all barbs that way if it was to happen for some unforseen circumstance, it can most likely shake the lure
      Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
      Perch-3lb
      Tench-5 1/2lb
      Carp-15lb
      Barbel-10 1/2lb
      Chub 5 1/4lb
      Roach 1 1/2lb
      Rudd 2lb
      Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Having met many of the countrys top pike anglers,i make a point of asking thier opinion on this as the question is often raised on forums,not a single one advocates the use of fc for traces,leaving a bait or lure in a fish,even babless is not an option, coated wires soft steel etc is a personal choice but to be 100% safe it has to have a sensible wire content,Steve Younger(one of the countrys most respected zander anglers )wont use it for zeds let alone pike.At the end of the day its your choice as to how you fish mate but please pleas dont advocate its use to others,you may have landed a few but eventually you will get bitten off.Regards Peter.
        Last edited by hurricane; 13 September 2010, 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
        Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

It depends on how the pike is hooked. I bet you could use just mono trace and not get bitten off, as soon as you have a pike that is hooked a bit deeper then see how your mono or fluro trace do.
          [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/rover220coupeturbo/ta3.jpg[/IMG]

Effort = Success

Comment

i appreciate what you are saying hurricane, but the guys at savage gear use it frequently with no apparent adverse effects, so i gave it a try to great success......and Azz, in no way would i use a monotrace EVER so i have no idea where you thought of that...FC is much more abrasion resistant that mono the reason i considered it. A fish of 11lb had the trace in its mouth completely and the lure was outside its mouth....hardy even a scratch on the trace i assure you
            Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
            Perch-3lb
            Tench-5 1/2lb
            Carp-15lb
            Barbel-10 1/2lb
            Chub 5 1/4lb
            Roach 1 1/2lb
            Rudd 2lb
            Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

i also replace the trace at the 1st sign of wear or damage....so i assure you i do not use it without any care.
              Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
              Perch-3lb
              Tench-5 1/2lb
              Carp-15lb
              Barbel-10 1/2lb
              Chub 5 1/4lb
              Roach 1 1/2lb
              Rudd 2lb
              Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Hi,

I didn't say you used mono, apologies if thats what you thought.

I don't see the advantage of using anything but wire. Pike aren't as fussy as carp.
                [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/rover220coupeturbo/ta3.jpg[/IMG]

Effort = Success

Comment

i thought you was implying that i was dumb enough to use mono......so sorry for misreading it... And the larger pike are much more wary so this can help to trigger an attack i dont use them all the time, Just with certain lures
                  Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
                  Perch-3lb
                  Tench-5 1/2lb
                  Carp-15lb
                  Barbel-10 1/2lb
                  Chub 5 1/4lb
                  Roach 1 1/2lb
                  Rudd 2lb
                  Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Working...