Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

is there any difference between a pike steel mesh glove & a steel mesh fillet glove??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there any difference between a pike steel mesh glove & a steel mesh fillet glove??

just wondered because they look the same but the ones in tackle shops cost £15 & the fillet gloves cost £5, do the pike gloves protect you more than a fillet glove??that is the question..........

i still have an old mesh two finger glove from when i used to kill chickens for a living. i'm not sure but i think that the pike mesh has smaller holes to prevent the teeth going through, they would go straight through my meshy as they are like needles.
    i'm not lazy, just energy efficient.

Comment

You would be better off with a 'john wilson' type unhooking glove imo. I tried the butchers chain mail and found it too thick and the holes in the mail were a bit too big.

Comment

You would be better off with just your hands, no gloves are needed.
        [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/rover220coupeturbo/ta3.jpg[/IMG]

Effort = Success

Comment

There is no need whatsoever for gloves for unhooking pike,the only exception is when lure fishing and hand landing(chinning)and this is normaly done to prevent the invariable loose treble from tangling in the mesh of the net and causing damage to the fish,in this situation the gloves main purpose is to protect the angler from the hooks on the lure and not the pikes teeth,if you feel you need a glove,then pay the money for one designed for the purpose and not a filleting/butchers glove as the mesh is not close knit enough to protect your fingers and more impotrantly to avoid hooks tangling in the mesh or damage to the pikes delicate gill rakers,with this advice i offer an open invitation to any anglers who want to come along to my water and spend some time learning about pike fishing and handling,anything from tackle,rigs,trace making,and if we get lucky unhooking and handling,im in the west midland a few miles from Bham centre,and if you cant come along dont hesitate to pm me if you think i can help.Regards Peter.
          Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

hurricane what a nice gesture mate to far for me but spot on mate ,tight lines

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post
                There is no need whatsoever for gloves for unhooking pike,the only exception is when lure fishing and hand landing(chinning)and this is normaly done to prevent the invariable loose treble from tangling in the mesh of the net and causing damage to the fish,in this situation the gloves main purpose is to protect the angler from the hooks on the lure and not the pikes teeth,if you feel you need a glove,then pay the money for one designed for the purpose and not a filleting/butchers glove as the mesh is not close knit enough to protect your fingers and more impotrantly to avoid hooks tangling in the mesh or damage to the pikes delicate gill rakers,with this advice i offer an open invitation to any anglers who want to come along to my water and spend some time learning about pike fishing and handling,anything from tackle,rigs,trace making,and if we get lucky unhooking and handling,im in the west midland a few miles from Bham centre,and if you cant come along dont hesitate to pm me if you think i can help.Regards Peter.
                As there has been a lot of interest in pike recently,thought i would bump this.Its normally weekdays when i fish,but if anyone is realy in need i will consider a Saturday.If your interested let me know.
                Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Working...
                X