Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Single Hook For Pike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Hook For Pike

I'm going to use single hooks this winter and have bought some 1/0 circle hooks to try. Whereabouts on the deadbait should I put it, lip, tail or dorsal?

Best advice i can give is,throw em in the bin or save them for catfishing,circles work on the principle of tightening into a fish thats running and tend not to work when you strike,there have also been reports of them going clean through and coming out the head on smaller cats,if you are going to use a big single,hook placement can vary dependant on what bait your using and how you intend to fish it,for a small roach fished suspended uner a float through the dorsal is probably best, for ledgered baits i would be inclined to thread the trace through the fish(deadbait only) from the mouth and coming out near the tail so the bend of the hook rests in the mouth of the bait,this is fiddly and can de difficult with frozen baits,avoid sardines as they are too soft for a single hook rig,sprats because of there small size can be hooked simply through the head or the tail.Remember a wire trace is still a must.hope this helps Regards Peter.
    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

PAC Website Contents Heres a brilliant link with loads of info mate.

Comment

Thanks for advice but I'm going to fish Bury Hill and I'm sure they have a single hook only rule so anyone who predator fishes there is going to have to convert. Looked on the PAC site as recommended but couldn't find any relevant advice.

Comment

Trebles are allowed as long as they are barbless,but you might find circles are banned.

Comment

the best place i put the hook is the mouth

Comment

Hi,
              The recent ruling at Bury Hill as from this season is barbless singles when fishing for Pike.

Comment

Working...
              X