Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

The 1 that got away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1 that got away

went up my local canal sunday for a spot of spinning ,happened to loose a 20lb + pike snapped me am a little worryed about leaveing a spinner in her do you think she will get rid of it or wil it kill her,

A small spoon with a single barbless treble COULD be ok, but the more usual large twin trebles with big barbs could cause serious problems,if it can feed it will probably survive,my advice to anyone fishing for pike would be minimum 12lb line a wire trace at least 12in long and flatten the barbs on all lures,a net not less than 36in an unhooking mat and forceps+long nose pliers and a pair of side cutters.this is a list of bare essentials for a pike trip,and unless you confident in handling them on the bank,try to make a few trips with someone who is,pike are very easy to catch,but need and deserve to be handled correctly.Regards Peter.
    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Great advice Hurricane, time to respect these fish a little more , too many these days think all that is required is a couple of massive barbed trebles & a priest !!, why the hell aint these barbed trebles banned , must say, the way many Pike are treated is good ammo for the anti's.
      Last edited by jayjay.,; 26 October 2010, 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I doubt that most anglers specialy the ones who use this site(RiveT,need not reply lol) have any intention of causing harm to any species,its just that they get the idea that a few hours wandering around with lure tackle will be okay because it will be easier for them to unhook lure/spinner caught fish,in reality you need to be more confident dealing with lures,these fish are best hand landed(chinning out)but this in itself requires a very confident approach,one of the biggest problems is that a lot of people are afraid of pike and see them in the same light as dogs,trust me on this one a pike will NOT try to bite you,the mechanics of unhooking means that your hands will be in close proximity to the teeth and gill rakers and a few nicks and grazes are inevitable but a little care and correct handling will allieviate most problems,Idont like the use of gloves but if it gives you more confidence then use one,anyone who feels they want any help or advice can always contact me,and i will do all i can to help.Regards Peter.
        Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Great advice Hurricane, time to respect these fish a little more , too many these days think all that is required is a couple of massive barbed trebles & a priest !!, why the hell aint these barbed trebles banned , must say, the way many Pike are treated is good ammo for the anti's.
          Do you dis-agree with micro barbed then? I usualy crush my barbs except if they are micros. never left a lure in a pike and probly never will as i use heavy lines
          Last edited by Reynolds2k7; 27 October 2010, 02:46 PM.
          Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
          Perch-3lb
          Tench-5 1/2lb
          Carp-15lb
          Barbel-10 1/2lb
          Chub 5 1/4lb
          Roach 1 1/2lb
          Rudd 2lb
          Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

thanks for your insite into my question i do use pinched down barbs ,my line were 15lb ,and dont think im a noddy went properly prepaired for the session i intended to fish,however i was unfortunate to get broken of ,these things happen thats whwat happens some times ,if we landed every 1 it would become very boreing ,however from your advise i am happy in the knowledge that she has got a good chance i surviveing ,im not a heartless angler ,i have been up every day to see if she were floating on the top and havent come across her yet so fingers crossed and i have kept hawks in my time and manned them quite well so chinning a pike out doesnt worry me in the slightest .oh and as regard to preist get back in your cave ,have you herd about catch and relise

Comment

Guru , I must say your concern for this fish is heartening, just wish there was more like you , well done ........... a friend of mine recently witnessed a match angler, practicing for a team match at Evesham , he had finished his session, emptied his fish back & chucked his net up the bank, however approx 15 mins later it was pointed out to him that he had left 4 roach in the net !!........... thats the sort of moron we have to share our banks with.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay., View Post
                he had left 4 roach in the net !!

That is indeed a true tradgedy.

They could have been used for livebait.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by gurustu View Post
                  thanks for your insite into my question i do use pinched down barbs ,my line were 15lb ,and dont think im a noddy went properly prepaired for the session i intended to fish,however i was unfortunate to get broken of ,these things happen thats whwat happens some times ,if we landed every 1 it would become very boreing ,however from your advise i am happy in the knowledge that she has got a good chance i surviveing ,im not a heartless angler ,i have been up every day to see if she were floating on the top and havent come across her yet so fingers crossed and i have kept hawks in my time and manned them quite well so chinning a pike out doesnt worry me in the slightest .oh and as regard to preist get back in your cave ,have you herd about catch and relise
                  Broke off with 15lb line? With the correctly set clutch I can't see how you could snap off playing a fish?
                  [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/rover220coupeturbo/ta3.jpg[/IMG]

Effort = Success

Comment

Out of a canal that's full of old bikes and shopping trolleys?
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Can understand getting snagged and breaking off.
                      [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/rover220coupeturbo/ta3.jpg[/IMG]

Effort = Success

Comment

theres always 1 out there pelsall canal is pretty clean it got cleaned about 5 years ago and people do take there rubbish home well most of them,and if they dont some1 else picks it up,so sorry to dissapoint you for your noncentackle comment ,my was welfare of the fish ,whats yours ?brains

Comment

Originally posted by gurustu View Post
                          theres always 1 out there pelsall canal is pretty clean it got cleaned about 5 years ago and people do take there rubbish home well most of them,and if they dont some1 else picks it up,so sorry to dissapoint you for your noncentackle comment ,my was welfare of the fish ,whats yours ?brains

Who is that directed at?

Whats noncentackle?
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

thanks for that jayjay ,im akeen match angler myself ,and imust saythat sometimes these things do happen when weighing fish in ,for a match ,ive seen it happen ,the scale mans in to much of a rush to weigh in everyone ,and wants to get of home probally cuse hehas had a bad match ,which is no excuse for fish welfare,we need to start protecting what we say were passionate about and thats the fish .

Comment

spelt it wrong ie brain dead and it were directed at you

Comment

Working...
                              X