Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please

afternoon all, I have been fishing nearly all my life, I started at an early age and love the sport with a passion, I have mainly been a course fisherman and have had bags over 100lbs in the past, and have fished to quite a high standard match wise, anyway, recently a good friend of mine left me a lot of carp fishing gear, not state of the art stuff but certainly good enough to learn with, the problem is that since I have switched from course fishing to carp fishing I haven't caught a thing, so my question is:

can anyone recommend a good set of carp fishing videos that will take me through the basics of carp fishing from the set up to the fishing side of things, I not a bad angler but Im not to proud to learn either, so any advice and help would be greatly appreciated please.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Originally posted by Lesco View Post
    afternoon all, I have been fishing nearly all my life, I started at an early age and love the sport with a passion, I have mainly been a course fisherman and have had bags over 100lbs in the past, and have fished to quite a high standard match wise, anyway, recently a good friend of mine left me a lot of carp fishing gear, not state of the art stuff but certainly good enough to learn with, the problem is that since I have switched from course fishing to carp fishing I haven't caught a thing, so my question is:

can anyone recommend a good set of carp fishing videos that will take me through the basics of carp fishing from the set up to the fishing side of things, I not a bad angler but Im not to proud to learn either, so any advice and help would be greatly appreciated please.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
    If you have been a 'course' fisherman and have had 'bags' of 100lbs at a 'high standard match wise' not sure why you want advice really?

What tactics were you using to get these weights?

Comment

Seriously though, why not go onto YouTube and search for any info you need, you will probably get it all for free rather than buying any DVD's

Comment

Originally posted by greenbank View Post
        If you have been a 'course' fisherman and have had 'bags' of 100lbs at a 'high standard match wise' not sure why you want advice really?

What tactics were you using to get these weights?
        Thats the things bud, I was a course angler, not a carp fisherman!! I can still go to venues and bag up with 100lb bags of small carp at the man made fisheries, what I'm stumped on is the proper carp set up, the lead core, knotless knots, bite alarms, bivvies, bedchairs, big carp waters etc. etc.

I can catch small carp on the pole and the feeder, but I want to learn proper carp fishing...........

Comment

Lesco,

To be honest I can't help you to much as I no longer go 'proper' carp fishing - whatever that means now?

I think you need to focus on what you want to catch and what venues near you can provide the fishing you want, maybe walk around a few chosen lakes and talk to the guys on there, look at what setups they are using etc etc

I notice your location is Swindon, I used to fish lakes in the area many years ago for carp.

Maybe pop into Hinders and have a chat with the guys there, I used to buy most of my baits from the place and they were always helpfull with advice.
          Last edited by greenbank; 3 August 2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Lesco, to have any good success you need to learn how to use a marker and spod setup and then perhaps fish 3 rods in that area and use a forth to move around looking for fish. For example on a large lake with no obvious features you need to find some underwater features where the fish may hold, this is done with the use of a marker float. See the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYlo3aJdOIU

Once you find a feature (example a deep trough) you keep the marker float there while you bait up, this is normally done by spodding small particles or with a catapult/throwing stick for boilies. A lot of people I know can spend a good few hours putting in 5-10 KG of bait for a large session. Then place all your rods in the same area with a similar hookbait (Look on youtube for carp rigs and you will find loads, however don't take these to heart some of my friends biggest fish were on the most simple rigs). Once all rods are in the area, clip the marker rod up, log a feature on the far bank to aim to if you need to get your marker back out later. Then bring the marker back in.

To get all your rods in the same area a lot of people will clip the marker and then bring it in, use 2 bank sticks 10 meters apart to unwind back to the clip and then clip up all your fishing rods to the same distance (eg 12.5 wraps around the 2 sticks), when you cast these towards your far bank marker you are pretty much landing in the baited area.

If you are going for large carp make sure you get a good landing net/sling and unhooking mat and for really big carp get some waders for unhooking in the water, also Korda do a really good carp care kit for around £15 to medicate any hook injuries/scrapes etc. I have had my best carp on Mainling Dumbell boilies in Cell and Activ8, they also do a selection of boilies/freezer baits and you can even make your own with a kit they do.

I did see a good video on you tube a few months ago with Matt Hayes so will try to send you a link for that.

One last thing, if you are sat near your rods (not biviying it overnight) please don't bother with alarms, you will easily hear the baitrunners.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttEbnXGRtlg

Comment

carp fishing is all about location , find the carp and you will catch them if they are in the right mood,

what alot dont understand is we are all after the same goal in fishing , our own goal, if that be 100lb+ bags of fish or a 30lb plus carp ,

i have done both and come full circle back to match fishing after 10 years chasing the big girls. and not doing too badly with two 30lb + carp to my portfolio, but now my life has changed and ive adapted and gone back to match fishing, i think what i'm trying to say is the arent that different , yes the rigs are slightly different (larger lol) the gear is stepped up and the fish are larger and fewer between, the key is location ,you wouldnt go to a natural canal or river and expect to pick up 200-300lb bags same goes for carp , start off on a water where your looking to catch doubles and with a higher stock content, you will learn more by catching smaller ones and becoming a pot noodle angler as some call them by jumping on big carp water and fluking the biggest in the lake,

alot is to do with manufacturers kicking out these dvds that show them catching the biguns and the fame and glory that comes with it, i can see how all this sponsored match angler or famous chaser of carp can be attractive to some

i progressed to an obsession that basically ended my love for carp fishing i went on to a water where carp are two or three a season for the whole lake but big s lol.. even there i saw people under equipped for that type of lake chancing their arm for fame and fortune with white hoodies and trainers, it all comes with time dont rush it enjoy the learning , i did and made loads of friends on the way..

this might make me sound like an elitist but i'm not believe me i just think there is alot of un seen/used etiquette in fishing that should be used more, no matter what type of fishing you do..

sorry go0ne off on one a bit there, think what im trying to say is dont try and jump in and catch big carp from the off it's not easy and part of the fun is learning and finding out for yourself how these stunning creatures tick. if you need any advice or other help drop me a pm and i'll try and help..
                banklife

Comment

sparkyjon,

Well said mate - a cracking post couldn't agree more.

Comment

The best advice you will get would be to make friends with some carp anglers in your local area and ask them to show you the basics - if they are good anglers and catching fish then they should have no problem showing and helping, its the noddies that will not help and share knowledge.
                    Simon Young
                    Admin
                    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Buy a bag of the latest all singing and dancing boilies.
                      Chuck to the middle of the lake.
                      Lash some free offering around boilie.
                      Camp by your rods for a month.
                      Sooner or later one of those big dopey things will pick the boilie up.
                      Reel it in and the jobs a goodun.

People complicate this carp fishing mullarkey. Glad to of been of help.
                      On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post

I doubt this is helpful but it's the best laugh I've had this year.
                        Excellent humorous post.
                        I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
                        He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post

What a load of codswallop!!!
                          This one only took me an accumlative 15 days and nights to catch.

Well worth the effort.
                          Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Your obviously not taking this carp fishing mullarkey seriously enough Peter.
                            Everyone knows you have to spend at least a month on the bank to catch a fish of that quality. It says so in the " Encyclopedia Brittanica of Catching Big Dozy Lumps".
                            Please refer to my origional post and follow the instructions to the letter.

If you require anymore advice please feel free to pm me.
                            On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Will try your method as soon as my new bivvy arrives.

Lesco,if you need any info on specifics,feel free to pm me mate,I will do my best to advise.
                              Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Working...
                              X