Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

targetting bigger fish on a commercial fishery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• targetting bigger fish on a commercial fishery

Good morning,

Does anybody have any tips/advice on targeting the bigger fish on a commercial fishery ?

The lake it particular has alot of matches on it so there are alot of smaller carp and course fish in the lake. I do know that there are some bigger carp in the lake of 15lbs and up. As far as im aware nothing over 10lbs has been out for a while now.

Thanks,

Ben

Tbh mate its always a case of getting through the smaller fish? How arr you fishing? Have you tried bigger baits? I used to use a rig called a greedy pig rig 3x 18mm boillies
    on a hair! It works!!

Comment

Tbh mate its always a case of getting through the smaller fish? How arr you fishing? Have you tried bigger baits? I used to use a rig called a greedy pig rig 3x 18mm boillies
      on a hair! It works!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Currently sat with an inline method rig out with a short hook length with a 10mm boilie and a piece of sweetcorn on a hair fishing just of an island.
        . So determimed to pull a few of the bigger fish out that this lake holds! Beautiful day here for it!

Comment

The only way I"ve found is to be able to see them,this involves stalking them in the margins in clear water(rare occurance on commies),the other allternative is to fish floaters(preferably bread)this was a favourite tactic at Woodlands view on High pool,Late in the evening when most anglers have vacated,prime as many swims as possible with plenty of bread and wait for the slurping to start,get in with a LARGE piece of hair rigged crust cast to the bigger fish,lf a smaller fish goes for it,pull out of it and recast,take one or two fish from a swim and move on.
          Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post
            The only way I"ve found is to be able to see them,this involves stalking them in the margins in clear water(rare occurance on commies),the other allternative is to fish floaters(preferably bread)this was a favourite tactic at Woodlands view on High pool,Late in the evening when most anglers have vacated,prime as many swims as possible with plenty of bread and wait for the slurping to start,get in with a LARGE piece of hair rigged crust cast to the bigger fish,lf a smaller fish goes for it,pull out of it and recast,take one or two fish from a swim and move on.
            Thanks for the reply.

Floater fishing is possibly my favourite kind of fishing and the fish take well to this on this lake. The only problem being the mass of smaller fish that occupy the lake, it is very difficult to target any larger fish. When I arrived at the lake yesterday we walked round and sat on the back of the wind was a huge gathering of carp basking in the sun, I don't think I have ever seen so many in 1 place before. That being said, I am not convinced there was anything into double figures. Spent a while chatting with the fishery owner yesterday and he said that 2 off the 15lbers had recently been out by the same angler in a match. We know they are in there.... catching them however is a different matter.

Boilies are not really fished very often on this lake, i wonder if this could be used to my advantage ?

Thanks,

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Johnsonpyro View Post
              Thanks for the reply.

Floater fishing is possibly my favourite kind of fishing and the fish take well to this on this lake. The only problem being the mass of smaller fish that occupy the lake, it is very difficult to target any larger fish. When I arrived at the lake yesterday we walked round and sat on the back of the wind was a huge gathering of carp basking in the sun, I don't think I have ever seen so many in 1 place before. That being said, I am not convinced there was anything into double figures. Spent a while chatting with the fishery owner yesterday and he said that 2 off the 15lbers had recently been out by the same angler in a match. We know they are in there.... catching them however is a different matter.

Boilies are not really fished very often on this lake, i wonder if this could be used to my advantage ?

Thanks,

Ben
              The boilie approach is unlikely to help ,sounds like your problem is simply the ratio of target fish to the rest of the stock,this is the same problem we all have,My club lake holds 2 possible 30lb fish and the only way to target them is by knowing thier whereabouts(visual sightings) and then hope the right fish picks up the bait.
              Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post
                The boilie approach is unlikely to help ,sounds like your problem is simply the ratio of target fish to the rest of the stock,this is the same problem we all have,My club lake holds 2 possible 30lb fish and the only way to target them is by knowing thier whereabouts(visual sightings) and then hope the right fish picks up the bait.
                Thats exactly the problem i have. On my last 2 visits the wind has been blowing into a corner of a lake. This to me is a good starting point as any natural food would be blowing into that direction.

Comment

Working...
                X