Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Match results winter-summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match results winter-summer

Over the last few seasons i have noticed that has winter approaches my match results improve and remain good throughout the winter. However, in the warmer weather my results are patchy. I have had several ton weights to win matches and always catch a decent weight but don't win has many matches compared to the winter.

Does anyone else have this problem or maybe the opposite good summer results and bad winter.

Or perhaps your results are consistant throughout the year.
    Steve Davies

DNW, in theory in my opinion its easier to win in the summer as carp in particular arent quite so tightly shoaled as they can be once the weather gets cold. Im a big believer in that if you work hard and get your feeding right in the summer then theres an awful lot of pegs you can win from in the summer. This though is far from true on the venues i fish in the winter.
    Last edited by carpmagic; 16 December 2006, 11:44 PM.
    Steve Ringer
    Carpmagic - Talk Angling UK

Comment

Steve the question I was dying to ask you when you visited Elmdon was why I usually do better in Winter matches when others are struggling. In the Summer when they're bagging I struggle! I think it's the feeding.Perhaps I'm too mean in the Summer. I suspect I might get a response to that idea shortly!!
      John - Kingfisher
      Talk Angling Senior Member
      Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

Kingfisher the only person who does not use a bait box he uses film canisters, and actually takes the unused home. does that answer the question John

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Kingfisher, sounds like you have probably answered your own question. Feeding is everything and if you get it wrong through not feeding enough or too much or not regular enough then you wont catch.
          Steve Ringer
          Carpmagic - Talk Angling UK

Comment

I would also like to add that you still have to draw on the feeding fish in winter. The Oaks is probably, IMHO, one of the fairest venues going and in summer it can be won from alot of pegs. At this time of year it can still be won from the majority of pegs, but it has a lot to do with where the fish are that are feeding. As far as I can recall, the same peg has not won a Saturday and a Sunday match since we moved onto the new lake.

What you will find is that certain anglers do better than others at certain times of the year, indicating that you get your winter anglers and a also have your summer anglers. Take John Allerton for instance. He has fished at The Oaks nearly all summer and has hardly won anything. Yet, since it has turned colder, he was won more money than most in the past 5 or 6 weeks or so.

Comment

Atleast in winter we get more 'carpmagic' on here

Comment

Bigpellet's got a strong point. In our recent F&F the crudest of anglers (who doesn't have a PC!) was on the end peg prevailing wind towards him and I told him he would be on the fish although I'd left out the 4 pegs towards the corner where the wind was heading to make it fairer overall on our pool.He was the only angler to exceed 30lb!He probably lost as many fish as he landed eg. one fell through the bottom of his rotten landing net!!
                Last edited by Kingfisher; 17 December 2006, 10:09 PM.
                John - Kingfisher

Comment

I think the problem may be amounts of feed going in and the regularity of it.

In summer it is possible to get through lots of feed and still keep them interested, however not enough and the fish move on. Getting the balance right is the key. In winter people are generally more frugal, perhaps only feeding to bites. Instead of potting in a couple of pots(summer) to start off and feeding a handful every put in, you are generally cutting right back to a small pot and a kinder cup after each bite.

Even in winter I have had to feed 5 or 6 pints of feed to keep fish in the peg.Generally my rule is to start off slow in winter and feed more as the fish respond. If there are fish in the peg then up it, if not still feed but maybe only a few pellets at a time.
                  [COLOR="Red"]GOT Baits you know it makes sense[/COLOR]

[url]www.gotbaits.co.uk[/url]

[[url]http://keithgandhi.blogspot.co.uk/[/url]

Comment

Possibly one factor that affects my fishing is that until 4 years ago i had spent 15 years fishing for various teams in various leagues. So even though i now 'work permitting' fish what venue i want, i still feel has though i have to put a certain weight in the net befor i try to bag up.

In the winter this is probably a good thing but in the summer it gives others the edge.

Has the fishomania qualifiers i hopefully will fish start early may i had better change my ways next year has you get nothing for 2nd.
                    Steve Davies

Comment

Hows your snooker,Steve.!! My Grandma,also, a Davies used to think you were great. Was awkward,though, had to wait for the commentator to tell her the colour of the balls on TV!
                      John - Kingfisher

Comment

Unfortunatly i am not the steve davis (mr interesting) otherwise i would pay some one to make all my rigs, carry and set up all my gear and drive me home after a few beers to celebrate winning the match
                        Steve Davies

Comment

Working...
                        X