Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

5 or 6 hour matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 or 6 hour matches

Hi guys, what are your opinions regarding the above? I know a lot of people can only get out one day a week and would prefer 6 hours. Often the fish really start to have a munch at the end of the 5 hours as well and we pack up just when it starts to get really good. It also distorts peoples opinions as to where to go for their next match as well. A lot of matches these days are 6 hours, round here Cross Drove is 6 hours so the weights there should be at least 20% greater than the Suffolk Water Park. Given that their 'stolen' hour is often the best hour then perhaps the weights there should be 30% higher on average.

On the other hand certainly in the warm weather, perhaps with low dissolved oxygen levels, to keep fish in a net for 6 hours must be worse for them than 5 hours. Also some of us start to 'set' after 5 hours and are glad to get up and start putting the tackle away just to move about a bit. DH has also made the point that blanking for 5 hours is bad enough, 6 hours would be mind numbing especially if you have had the feeling for the last 3 hours you would never get a bite.

What are your views and does anyone have other strong points either in favour of 6 or 5 hours?
    [url]http://www.fishinglessons.org.uk/[/url]

I would prefer the 6 hour match, the sport is better but our club how now changed the match times to keep it 5 hours but start later! We will fish from 12 till 5 and 1 till 6 on some of our matches this year to get better sport in the last hours of the daylight.

I understand where your coming from mate with the fish in then net but In my opinion they are bred to be fished for and unfortunately that's part of match fishing. At least now most fisheries make you have two nets to spread the weight and in some cases 3 nets.

Comment

Thanks for your reply sponduke, we have a 50lb net limit anyway but I am getting some interesting and unexpected response on email and the forums.

Comment

Being old enough I can remember when matches were generally only 4 hours long, and find 5 hours to be long enough, I cant see a valid reason for them being 6 hours other than to satsfy the need to improve record weights, and the comment fish are bred to be fished for is a bit of a laugh, and dare i say it the typical comment of a match man, who gives little consideration for them, yes I do fish matches by the way. As for net limits of 50lb thats fine providing you are not going to exceed 150lb as in my opinion it near impossible on many commercials to put in more than three nets, starting matches later might initially seem a good idea as yes you catch more but oxygen level tend to be more depleted later in the day causing even greater stress.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

In the lincs/notts area matches tend to be 6 hours long, which took a bit of getting used to but i know prefer a 6hour to 5 hour match. I think that if i was fishing the rivers and canals of the west mids 5 hours would be plenty long enough sitting there for 6 hours without the float going under would not be fun. only joking.
          Steve Davies

Comment

in the true context of it, i think all matches should be 5 hours, i see no need to fish for 6 although i fish plenty myself and kiverton hall will fish 7 if the organisers think it's going to be a good day!
            are 6 six hour matches becoming so popular because it allows anglers to do it wrong from the start but still have time to catch when they eventually get it right? i.e you can win a match in the last two hour on many commercials, does the extra hour allow everyone to find the right way on the day in time to still get a good weight?

Comment

I fish and run a saturday club and on venues which allow 6 hours then we have 6 hours otherwise we fish for 5 hours, we have an early draw at 8 oclock and fish 9 till 2 or 3 oclock, this gives everyone the option to stay on after the fishing and get more fishing in till they pack up sometimes they stay till about 8pm in the summer.This is because they feel that they have paid peg fees for the day so why not have a days fishing, we dont vote on this its just the way we run the club, everyones happy at the end of the day, if you dont want to fish on then you go home. I have fished for another club where they have voted on the day for 6 hours and if your one of the unlucky ones that does not want 6 hours then it was sorry but we have voted 6 hours.And when you do a 9 oclock draw then have a vote for 6 hours it a VERY LONG DAY.

Comment

the club i fish with has 6 hour matches but all the opens i fish are 5 hours i dont really mind how many hours they are

Comment

Thanks for your replies lads, some interesting points there. From what I have seen both here and other forums, opinions seem to be very much split down the middle. I have also been a little surprised as to who prefers what. I had expected the younger anglers to be the ones who wanted longer hours - Us older guys apart from being used to 5 hours, start getting back pain and numb bum syndrome after a while. That doesn't seem to be the case all the time though, some of the younger guys seem to want the shorter matches as well. Perhaps getting home to a 20 year old lady has appeal than getting home to a 50+ year old one

Comment

my mind says six my bodey says five

Comment

Originally posted by Brian G View Post
                      and the comment fish are bred to be fished for is a bit of a laugh, and dare i say it the typical comment of a match man, who gives little consideration for them.
                      In my opinion fish welfare has to be top priority to keep a good healthy stock of fish and for them to be there years in advance. At the end of the day a commercial fishery is there for the fish to be caught and placed in nets (its a fact) not a inconsiderate comment at all!

I do however carry a carp care kit with me and always treat injured fish at the end of a match before they are returned, not your typical match angler eh as I see no one but myself doing this.

Comment

I prefer to fish for 5 hours. By the end of the match I am normally suffering with a headache through the glare off the water. I have fished 6 hours but they really do my head no good. In this neck of the woods most matches are usually 5 hours as a general rule.

Comment

I always get a bad head from staring at the float! have to carry tablets with me!

Had a canal match on sunday and the sun was beating down all day and the glare was really bad! Had to stop for 15 mins to have a rest from it

Comment

as a rule,most of my club matches are 6 hours,but on a few occasions we do have 5 hour ones. i too carry a fish care kit,as well as a first aid kit.when your bagging,you dont want to stop.when youre blanking,you cant wait for the whistle!!
                            talk anglings villiage idiot:p

Comment

Most of the matches I fish are 6 hrs daylight permnitting, I dont see a problem with this,

with most commies having strict policies on nets and weight limits I see no harm in 6 hr matches, most boxes now days have all the attachments you need to have multyple nets and in one match I had 6 nets out, obviously it was a tad awkward but rules are rules and nets were supplied so there was no excuse,

I have also noticed in most cases on the circuit I fish its the fisheriy owner that sets the times on the opens as he typically runs them, now he should know his fishery better than anyone else so who are we to argue. it also gives you slightly better value for money, I would fish 8 or 10 hr matches as long as the fish welfare was taken into consideration
                              [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
                              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                              [CENTER][B][U]Carlsburg Disgorgers[/U][/B][/CENTER]
                              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                              [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
                              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                              [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X