Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Boiles On A Float Setup???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiles On A Float Setup???

Hi.

I am just wondering if its possible if you can fish float with boiles,

Gadz

They are most certainly used with a bagging waggler set up, so theres no reason why a normal waggler set up would not work.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Brian beat me to it. Boilies fish on bagging wag account for loads of Carp. For closer work a puddle chucker or ordinary stumpy waggler could be used just as well

The main thing you need to get right whatever float or method you use is the hook end. Boilies are usually better fished on a hair rig, either with the boilie being mounted on the rig behind a boilie stop or simply pushed onto a bait spike tied to the hair rig.

Happy splosing
      PB Pike just over 17lb

Best match weight 150lb 9oz :)

Comment

One reason the bagging wags work so well is they are bouyant and give a resistance on the take, in many cases the set up being self hooking. A smaller less bouyant float would restrict the size of boilie that could be used (especially shallow) and might also need to be fished more conventionally ie. actually striking at bites.
        PB Pike just over 17lb

Comment

how do u do a hair rig?

Comment

Easiest way is to use the knotless knot, heres how to do it Know your knots
            If you want to use a spike cut the shank of an eyed hook and tie that on before you start to tie the knotless knot.

Comment

That is a good link Brian, shows the basic hair rig very well.

The spike tied on to the line instead of a loop makes a great boilie rig and if you add a small spring instead of the spike it is a good paste rig.
              PB Pike just over 17lb

Comment

i dont understand

Comment

I guess you dont understand the spike bit, in place of the loop that is tied in the end of the hair just tie a hook shank, you can then just push a boilie on to it, saves time drilling them out and using boile stops, also makes using a 8mm boiley simple
                  Have a look at this feature http://www.talkangling.co.uk/hairrig1.htm
                  Last edited by Brian G; 3 January 2007, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Hi Gadz,

not sure which bit you don't understand but here goes with my explanation.

When you fish boilies they can be quite difficult to hook up if just using a standard hook as they are quite hard and if you do manage to hook one they can obscure the point of the hook so you do not get a good hold on the fish, the fish can also "suck and blow" the boilie and hook out of their mouth when a boilie is just put on a bare hook.

A hair rig has an extra bit of line below the hook (as shown in Brians link) which can be used to attatch the bait to. This leaves the whole of the hook exposed and gives a better hook hold, the fish can spit out the bait but the hook remains attatched .

You can drill a hole in the boilie and slide it on to the extra bit of line and then put a little plastic boilie stop through the loop and gently pull the boilie back down onto the stop to stop the boilie falling of.

Other baits can be threaded on to the hair using a baiting needle, again using a small boilie stop (or piece of grass etc. ) to stop the bait pulling off.

Some hair rigs are tied with a small bait spike tied to the hair, this bait spike can be pushed into a hard boilie and is a bit quicker and easier to use than the loop and boilie stops which can be a bit fiddly.

When fishing paste you can use a hair rig that has a small spring tied to the loop instead of a spike and the paste can be moulded around the spring, again leaving the hook free for a better hook hold.

Hope this helps, if not just post again and someone will put you right
                    PB Pike just over 17lb

Comment

Just had a look at the hair rig feature by Steve Ringer and it shows the loop type rig used with little plastic boilie stops and how the bait is mounted away from the hook leaving the whole of the hook clear for good hook hold, this does of course mean that you do not have to use massive hooks even when using quite large baits.
                      PB Pike just over 17lb

Comment

Thanks v much for the help guys, i am going into my local tackle shop friday to buy myself a new rod and all, i shall ask them to do a demo of the hair rig if possible

Many Thanks. GAdz

Comment

Working...
                        X