Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Up in the Water elastics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up in the Water elastics

Just coming to the re-elastication time of year!

Just wondered what you guys use for your up in the water fishing elastic wise?

Watched you in the Fisho Final last year Steve - what elastics do you use as a rule?
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

it really depends what your fishing for, with fishing for carp on pellet i run a hydro 12 through 3 sections so theres plenty of give, it needs to be tight enough for the fish to hook themself however against the restraint

Comment

OK - I better refraise the question a little....

There are probably 3 different set up's I would class for up in the water carping. Light, Medium and Heavy say.

OK - the main consideration is not losing a fish once you have hooked it! So this depends on the size of fish and the speed you want to land them. Perhaps the question I am actually asking is what are the line, hook and elastic combinations people like to use for up in the water fishing for different scenarios?
      Simon Young
      Admin

Comment

i tend to use 0.14 or 0.16 straight through to a 12 elastic for 2 to 5lb carp fished pellet up in the water on a band, same pellett as loose feed with an 18 hook. Then upgrade hook size accordigly for larger bates. I tend to use 808's or b511's

Comment

Simon, in the Fisho final I used a no.12 Garbolino latex which is what i use for 90% of my shallow fishing. Im a big believer in the heavier the elastic the harder the fish pull back. The beauty of a 12 latex is that its very forgiving but at the same time doesnt stretch for miles so that you end up out of control whilst playing the fish. Line and hook wise 0.16 Shimano Antares silk shock straight though to a size 16 b911.
          Steve Ringer
          Carpmagic - Talk Angling UK

Comment

Steve, how does the latex hold up over time? To me it seems to have a shorter usable life than similar strength coloured elstics or hydro. I suppose that you change it often so don't have a problem but I find that latex seems to get hard and brittle after a fairly short time. I haven't used the Garbolino make I hasten to add.
            [url]http://www.fishinglessons.org.uk/[/url]

Comment

Cheers for that Steve, will have to give it a try. In the past I have found latex too be too stretchy and like you say ends up with fish out of control. Having said that I was very impressed with your set up at the Fisho. I use latex for all my canal fishing and swear by it - I must have just been hypnotised by Hydro every year and forgotten how good the latex is - like you say its super forgiveness should let you get away with alot and fishing a bit lighter.

You are definately right about the harder you pull the harder they do... only last year I worked this out and just started shipping more gently untill the pole tip was right near my feet then landing them from there - there must be an art to this - oh well role on the warm weather!!
              Simon Young
              Admin

Comment

every time i have tried to use latex it never seems to retract into the pole properly? now there is most probably a simple explaination for this? i have tried lubricant and it just seems to wash off very quickly and im constantly putting it on, my power tops are cut back to take a orange preston stretch bung, so there is little bend in the top kit, so i wouldnt of thought it was sticking to the wall of the top kit or getting caught on the bush? any ideas lads???
                Matt Smith
                Bag'em matchbaits

Comment

how often do ya clean the insides of ya top kits out matt? its probably dirt on the walls of em. mine are like that
                  [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="7"][B]AIRITY BOY
                  221 TONS[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Have you cleaned your top 2s matt, what lubricant are you using, and when you elasticate your tops do you bottom the elastic out a couple of times by hand???

Comment

Dont use lubricant with latex use the lake water no other lubricant is required, you will find they then work ok.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

I find that i have to change my elastic to suit on the day more now than i used to,trying to minimise loosing fish,lost count of the number of times i have started off on one elastic which i thought was right for the job and ended up stepping down a grade or so.
                        Takes a ;little longer to get them out but they all end up in the net!
                        Also had a lot of success using maver dual core 5/8(green) for winter fishing very forgiving elastic.
                        But i must confess if i am sacking up in summer its usually black hydro to 0.16/0.18 Silstar match team to a B911 16/14.

And if i am after munters the proper gear comes out!!!!
                        Roll on friday

Comment

Use storabungs,then adjust them whilst fishing.Its nigh on impossible to get it right indoors,its either too tight or too slack.After a few fish the elastic will need adjusting again after the fish have stretched it.Also for up in the water i have found grey hydro takes some beating.the black tends to be a little bit too unforgiving,resulting in more lost fish.I have used the same hydro for two seasons now,its expensive,but outlasts other elastics.
                          cornerstone.

Comment

I tend to use grey hydro with a milo pull bung. Doesn't cause too much disturbance when a fish is hooked and the pull bung is handy for landing bigger fish without needing more than a top kit.
                            [URL="http://www.moopoo.net/category/fishing/"]Blog[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.moopoo.net/calculator"]Shot Calculator[/URL]

Comment

Waveney I tend to change my elastic once every 6 months. I do actually use lube (slippery eel) as i find it makes the latex perform better.
                              Steve Ringer
                              Carpmagic - Talk Angling UK

Comment

Working...
                              X