Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

fishing clubs(pro's and con's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fishing clubs(pro's and con's)

Just joined a fishing club for the first time this weekend and was wondering what people thought of them..? there are 12 matches in a year 4canal, 4 river and 4 pool matches... what tactics would you adopt for these matches and what is the standard of angler in these clubs... also do you think it would help me improve my fishing???
    :cool: [I]LeeTwin[/I] :cool:
    [I]Mr 3oz number 1[/I] ><))))*>

I am sure as your matches get nearer you will get loads of advice Lee.Yes it helps to fish matches you can always learn something from others. Start looking at the results of other matches fished on your venues that will give you an idea of what weights you will be looking for....
    In darkness we do what we can
    In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

the first match aint till march and thats at bewdley on the severn so i wont be too worried till then... plus i used to fish the severn a lot years ago and rarely struggle its where i learnt to fish... i must say i am looking forward too it though be a good test of my ability and i love the variation

Comment

Yeah they are good for the social side too...

The standard isnt bad these days as alot of these guys go to the same venues year on year and they know what works at the venues.

You will definately learn alot, just make friends with a few of the guys - best bet is to have a beer with them after the match and ask them about what they did.... best tip is to listen well then go home and make a few notes then you can pull the notes next time you go to the venue. Dont forget to also make a note of the water temperature and weather conditions on the day and leading up to the match - seems a bit like too much to do at the time but in the future you will have a big advantage over some of the others!
        Simon Young
        Admin
        Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
        web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Second year is normally better unless you have fished the venues before.I have always found that after most matches on new venues i think that if i had done this or done that i would have caught more.Next time you go its information that you have learned,and should stand you in good stead.No matter what info anglers tell you,you cant beat your own hard earned experience.
          cornerstone.

Comment

from what i can see they change the venues every year except the stourbridge canal which is our own stretch and the matches at bewdley so i think everyones in the same boat... but i gather that theres some good anglers in the club the 2 that run it work for british waterways and are both qualified coaches so i may get some tips from them

Comment

Best tips I ever got for my club matches were off here , my first season on here I cleaned up in the club

Comment

I,ve fished with my club now for more years than i can remember. The great thing that i can honestly say is, all the lads i fish with are now close and personal freinds and nothings beats that and thats what its all about for me. Every match is a bit of fun no matter where we are and we always have a post mortem at the club on sunday night over a few jars. Its great when you frame cos you get a seat on the winners table.

Comment

My experience this year is not a very good one.22 members,a lot have fished the venues for 5 years.I personally hadnt.In the doubles i drew a 15 year old lad who had never fished before.Someone dropped out and a mate of mine joined even though he missed the first 2 matches.Because i was taking the young lad to venues and trying to put him right,we were getting all sorts of moans.To cut a long story my mate won the singles,i was second.Myself and the young lad,won the doubles[he and his parents were over the moon-plus we won &#163;50 each],and my mate was second in the doubles.Far from congratulating the lad,certain so called anglers tried to belittle him with comments that i had caught the fish etc.He turned up every match and without his contribution i couldnt have won the doubles.Anyhow after running for 5 years the club has now folded,and the lad has finished with fishing.Talk about promoting fishing to kids,certain people in the club didnt like getting beat[certainly by a young lad],and i have now decided to go back to canal fishing.I hope your experience is better,their are some decent anglers who will be genuinely pleased if a younger or more inexperienced angler beats them.I am the ist one to shake their hand
                  Good luck.
                  cornerstone.

Comment

Working...
                  X