Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Match fishing choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match fishing choice

I fished a match on tuesday it was freezing cold, windy and snowed. The peg i was in was big carp or bust so i sat on the tip for 5 hours for 1 carp and 7 lb.

This got me thinking would you rather have lots of bites from bits but know you would be unlikely to make the frame or would you sit for 5 hours and get 3 bites for 3 big carp a match winning tactic but mind numbing and hand numbing.
    Steve Davies

Always fish to win ... unless you could win your section by fishing for bits.
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

both tbh, i would sit on it an hour if no bites get some bits whilst feeding both lines

Comment

Mout, i would normally agree with your comments. However, it is a case of sitting on a hair rigged corn bait and not feeding this line. If you come inside and go for the silver fish you could miss the few carp that are willing to feed.

So has i asked would you have a pleasant days fishing but come nowhere or sit it out for the odd carp and have a boring day and get in the money.

Obviously we would all like to catch plenty of weight building carp but when the fish shoal up at this time of year the match can often be decided at the draw. It is then a case of someone losing the match rather than attracting fish into the peg.
        Steve Davies

Comment

Steve,

Personally I if it came down to a or bust method to win or have a nice days fishing catching bits if I definately thought I could win from a peg I would fish to win ... maybe if I was still blanking with an hour to go and there were a few weights elsewhere and all chances of winning had gone then I would fish for bits and enjoy myself - but if you have a chance to win then stick with it.

You are right about that "you could miss your chance" this is in my opinion the differnce between those that win regularly and those that dont.

Often at this time of year there is a particular time in the match that is more likely to throw up a carp - for example at gold valley when it gets to two oclock its carp oclock! Thats when everyone gets one if they are going to, so you might find at your venue it may be worth fishing for bits for an hour or two of the match and spending the rest of the time sitting.
          Simon Young
          Admin
          Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
          web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

put on some thermals and sit it out with corn that what id do
            sensas /total angling

Comment

Sudden severe changes in climate will shut it down in particular snow water. You had to make a decision based on what weights have been winning? and what pegs have been winning?. It would be more than likely that the silvers under these conditions would respond better than the Carp. I personally would probably have spent the first hour on the tip "straight lead more than likely" whilst feeding a couple of pole lines and then have a ten minute look see, If nobody else is catching and the silvers aint having it carry on sitting on your hands

Comment

I would have done exactly as you did DNW. I'd rather catch 1 fish that "pulls" back a bit than a load of bits
                Even more so if you know you need carp to win!

Comment

I would have sat on the tip for the full 5 hours.

I would also have made sure I had some gloves and a hat to ensure trying to stay warm.
                  [COLOR="Red"]GOT Baits you know it makes sense[/COLOR]

[url]www.gotbaits.co.uk[/url]

[[url]http://keithgandhi.blogspot.co.uk/[/url]

Comment

Keith, i should have taken gloves and a wooly hat but i have been taken in with the global warming debait and so didn't bother because of the previous mild weather.

I hadn't fished the venue before and was advised by locals that it was big fish or bust, but after getting wet and with the wind in my face i did think that if i had gone for small fish i would have kept a bit warmer.

During the match i did have 2 liners, 1 foul hooked fish that came of after a couple of seconds and 1 fish that felt like 10lb plus that felt has though it was hooked properly and got it 3/4 of the way back and came off. So i did have a bit more action than 1 fish caught but it was a cold boring day.

The reason i asked the question is that we all start fishing for the enjoyment of the country side and catching fish, then has we improve get into match fishing to learn more and take up new methods. I now only match fish has i enjoy the competative edge has well has catching but last monday i thought i must be barmy.(maybe its time for me to hang up the rods in the cold weather and wait for the spring).
                    Steve Davies

Comment

what weight won ?

Comment

rob, it was 23lb of stocky carp on maggot feeder and pole from the opposite end of the lake. Second was 13 lb of maggot feeder stockies also at other end of the lake. I beat those at my end by 4 one way and 3 the other, the lost fish would have put me in second.
                        Steve Davies

Comment

so you did the right thing and sat on the tip, the only other thing i may have tried was to have another swim going for some silvers and try it every now and then to bump the weight a little, never mind, theres always next time

Comment

change the venue, fish matches where by working at it and keeping busy you have a chance.
                            you don't stop playing because you're too old
                            you're too old because you stopped playing

Comment

Jeffc, i work 4 on 4 off so the days i can go fishing vary from week to week and around the lincs, notts area finding matches on mondays, tuesdays, thursdays and fridays is like finding rocking horse sh*t. I have got a venue for each day but if they are fishing poorly i havn't got any alternatives.
                              Steve Davies

Comment

Working...
                              X