Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

missed bites on the feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missed bites on the feeder

I keep getting bites which I don,t see, the maggots come back sucked at the end but with no sign on the tip, I have tried hooking the maggots in the middle to no avail.I think roach are the culprits,,any advice???

have u tried shorter or longer hooklenghs ????? for trial or is the lake amassed with gudgeon

Comment

there are no gudgeon, Its mostly lakes, and big ones at that, in ireland, several of the last matches have been like that, no bite for a while , then sucked maggots and then a few fish but cant get the fish to take constanly, tried changing hooks both up and down, shortening the hooklength and even lenghthening it

Comment

Play around with your rigs, You may need a target board to see the bits

Comment

try pinkies coz carp (if there are any will take it) and plus roach will take them

Comment

cheers will try all, no fear with the carp, there are none here thank god!! just roach ,bream and hybrids, will try the pinkies on the hook.Could be too much hemp in he feed encouraging smaller fish into swil, thanks for info.ps know any good suppilers of bloodworm and joker

Comment

Scoucerman is right first off try different hook lengths usually going shorter is the first move, if your hook length is too long fish could be intercepting the bait on the drop, its possible that you may need a hook length of only a few inches, what sort of rig set up do you use is the bomb/feeder free running, is it in a loop or paternoster, just maybe a fixed rig would make it more self hooking. the feeder in a loop gives you bit of both. If using the big maggot have you tried double pinkie, also what size are the fish you have been hooking.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

I have tried all the previous , the roach run from around 4oz to 1.5lbs , I have the feeder in a loop and always start with a short hooklength, I can get a few fish but then they drift away and the sucked maggots happens, I have tried going on the bomb but nearly always later in the match, as pinkies arent always available I use normal maggots,could it be perch as there is a big head of them and are usually very small??

Comment

It sounds more like a feed problem than anything else, if it is small perch then theres not enough feed going in to hold the bigger fish and they are drifting off, if you are happy that theres enough feed have one or two casts just of where you have been feeding with a bomb or empty feeder, if you are clipping up unclip take a couple of turns off the reel reclip and try a bit longer, have you tried a cocktail bait, say maggot and caster or maggot and corn, a section of worm may be a useful change bait, You say you fish matches whats the winning weights like it gives us some ideas of what your target may be.

Comment

the last three matches have been won with low weights 4-5lbs because the weather has been baltic , the missed bites have cost me money as i have framed in all matches two seconds and a third. the fish have been smaller than the usual stamp.i have been using a black feed with casters and maggots in the feed as well as some chopped worms , usually 10-12 lbs wins the matches. the waters are quite deep 25-30ft deep would this have any bearing on the missed bites as well.I am fishing braid so should see the bites but i dont

Comment

Whats the contour of the lake like is it a gradual drop off or does it go down quickly, its just possible if its a sudden drop off that your line is catching the top of a shelf and that would impair bite detection.

Comment

have u thought bout using braid
                        Pickerings Garbolino

43 Kammies

Whiteacres Intermediate Festival Winner 2007

Maver Classic 2007 qualyfier

Browning youthmasters 2007 qualyfier

Comment

He is using braid Danny.

Comment