Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

The Wye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wye

the river Wye at Hereford is fishing out of its skin........i have a very simple question. WHY??? why arn't all the other rivers throwing up weights like these any one have any theory's
    In darkness we do what we can
    In daylight we're oblivion

i reckon its known as a salmon river so you can bet its well looked after... and also it runs through some nice rural areas so the fish get time to develop without an ever changing enviroment... whatever it is though it seems to work
    :cool: [I]LeeTwin[/I] :cool:
    [I]Mr 3oz number 1[/I] ><))))*>

Comment

i also think its down to the numbers of dace in the river... most other rivers seem to have declining dace populations in recent years and the wye's seem to be going from strengh to strengh... i think the huge numbers of dace give the other fish time to grow as the dace are the main targets for the predators
      :cool: [I]LeeTwin[/I] :cool:
      [I]Mr 3oz number 1[/I] ><))))*>

Comment

its a river thats putting comercials weights to shame.
        sensas /total angling

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
          its a river thats putting comercials weights to shame.
          Mainly those weights are by anglers who hardly put a float out on a commercials, not that they would not fare ok on them.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

I think the fish has just thrived on neglect over the last few years.

Comment

All of the resons above imo, i think there is defiantley alot bigger head of dace in that river. I also think there are alot of dace in the river severn though aswell, not on the scale of the wye but it's just with so many barbel prominent in the river severn, if you pay your match fee to go and fish for dace you'll never win anything back as barbel will always outscore silvers most the time. In the summer Nigel Ball had just under 30lb of dace on the stick, an example of they are there but just not targeted so much. Dave harrell also had a nice catch of dace up at shrewsbury doing simliar methods to what he does on the wye i think.

Comment

easy,dace only matches.all it needs is someone with the balls etc.sadly,it wont be me.living in darkest essex.

Comment

Hi Thinking of moving to hereford any info on fishing clubs open matchers tackle shops ect would be great,At the moment I live in South Yorks and have rivers and commercials and lots of natural waters ect and like to fish them all
                  Hope to hear from you soon
                  Poleyyyy
                  (Poleman46)
                  A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work?????:p:eek:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Sues Tackle and Woodys are the tackle shops Both are good..woody knows the river like the back of his hand.......plenty day ticket in the area im in Bulmers club...they have some Wye..some lugg and about 4 maybe 5 lakes . They have matches about once a fortnight at venues all over the place its an excellent club..docklow is 12 mile from hereford nice area.Hope that helps let me know if you want more info

Comment

There,s loads of fishing in that area mate you will be spoilt for choice

Comment

Thanks for all the info lads just a few more please lol how long to get to Makings and Holly Farm and to Hinckley its that the club I am in at the moment are having there weekend away next year at thoses two fishers and would like to go to them if not too far or to hard to get to from Hereford
                        A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work?????:p:eek:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Pete,

it could be that the fish are migratory ... the areas outside of town can be devoid in the winter whilst all the silver fish shoal up between the bridges at Belmont.
                          The roach are quite amazing .... pound are average stamp!!!

Comment

well what ever the reasons i hope to be on the town waters tuesday wednesday,,,,,,hope its bang on

hows your winter gone so far Alex
                            Last edited by Larry Teepot; 26 November 2008, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Is that pleasure fishing or a match Pete?

I'm fishing the teams of six on sunday ... so can give you some gen on how it's fishing if you need.

My season started badly on your canal ... and hasn't got much better!
                              i've had a few section wins and a second on the Severn, but that's about it!
                              still better than working all weekend though!

had 41lb of roach on the Wye festival - to win my 5 peg section!

how about your's?

Comment

Working...
                              X