Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

can anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone help?

I recently read in a magazine under the best lakes to fish that one of their top baits was prawns. What do you bait with when using prawns? as i have never used them myself.
    [CENTER][/CENTER][SIZE="4"]The carrot is out there:eek: wiltshire mafia:eek: [/SIZE]

You can feed almost anything that you would normally feed, pellets, ground bait etc, or even chop up a few prawns and cup them in, I have tried feeding nothing and that also works, dont be afraid to cut a prawn up to make 3/4 hookbaits.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

In this part of the world prawn is used on comercials with 6lb plus carp in them. It is normaly used on the bomb or waggler as single baits has you would with hair rigged corn or meat.

It tends to be a winter bait where a large bait attracts the fish rather than feeding smaller baits and using them on the hook.

Other areas of the country could well use it in different ways. all the best.
      Steve Davies

Comment

okay, thanks. I usually only fish with pellets or meat and corn and wanted to try something different. its always nice to have an added extra in the bag for when your match fishing.
        [CENTER][/CENTER][SIZE="4"]The carrot is out there:eek: wiltshire mafia:eek: [/SIZE]

Comment

I have to almost agree with DNW it seems better as a single bait rather than over a bed of feed and the waggler has proved to be more effective than the pole, given its pungent smell and to some extent its colour you can see why its used as a bait in winter, when little or no feed is required, but they also work in summer. I must admit that unless its leftovers from cooking I dont bother with them now, and its not often that you are likely to see them on a matchmans bait tray.

Comment

okay ,maybe its not the best choice for match fishing, do you have any other suggestions? am trying to improve my fishing.

Comment

Assuming its matchfishing you are on about tell us about the venues you are fishing, mostbaits will work at certain times but anyone can blow if extensively used, the trick is knowing when a bait has blowed and whats taking its place.

Comment

most venues are on lakes in the south but what im finding is i am attracting alot of smaller fish and not enough big stuff to compete with other people, do you think this is down to the feeding?

Comment

it is almost certainly down to what you feed and how you feed, when you say lakes are they the more natural type or commercially dug pools what sort of size and depths are we looking at , what are the main species that win the matches,

Comment

they are comercially dug lakes which are about 6 - 8ft deep and most islands are too far to reach with the pole. Most matches are won with a good bag of carp. do you know huntstrete?

Comment

Unfortunately I dont know the venue but you can bet that at most times of the year the carp will be present on the island margins at some time during the day, so a feeder approach would be a must and probably fairly tight as well, baits would be condition winter sweet corn can be a winner, as can maggot, I would certainly start with a few chucks to the island, at the same time look to feed a pole line at around 10/12 metre either to the left or the right so any feeder caught fish are not being brought through your pole line, at this time of the year the margins are a bit hit and miss but should not be ignored, but best left for as long as possible, if the island swin does not produce its worth chucking a bomb around in the deeper water to try and find the fish, which may just be sitting there, what baits are currently working? we can then perhaps be positive in how you should be tackling it.

Comment

alot of them are taking pellet, i normally use a 4mm feed and a 6mm on the hook. but just cant seem to get them.

Comment

Have a look at feeding micro pellet, with 3/4 expanders and try dropping down to a 4mm on the hook, dont over do the feed though at this time of the year, but equally be prepared on the good days to up it so always carry your 4mm feed and 6mm hookers. You could also try adding 2/3 grains of corn to your feed.

Comment

hya bad.boy bagger, hav'nt seen you for a while, you dont seem to be doing to bad catching decent size fish when iv'e seen you

Comment

when was the last time you saw me fish elliott? i dont fish all the same places anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X