Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Pellets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellets

why are we such liars? i fish a few different places around the derby ares. i am quite new to pellet fishing. i fish birchhouse lakes near ashbourne now and again and if i am driving past, i will stop and have a walk round for a chat if anyone is fishing. lots of lads use pellets there and seem to do well, but when i ask them which type and brand of pellet they are using, some of them wont tell me, or blatently lie about the flavour/brand. i dont fish matches there, and like i said, only fish there now and again. the baliff (mick), is of little or no use and offers very veiled advice on pellet selection too. when i ring the guy up to see how the lakes are fishing, he is also very vague. why is this? its not as if i have murdered his family or anything like that? do any of you members know of this venue and baliff, and if so, do you encounter any of theese problems? its costing me a fortune in pellets!
    i try hard, but sometimes.......

I don't have any knowledge of the venue but I do think you may be conned by "secret" flavours in pellets. I genuinely have found that it seldom makes any difference if one uses an unflavoured Omega (softened) pellet on the hook or a fancy and expensive flavoured pellet. On occasion (I've tried them all!) the flavoured pellet seems to score worse!!
    However, I think you may have started a great debate on here! I hope so!!
    John - Kingfisher
    Talk Angling Senior Member
    Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

Flavours are a confidence thing, and by the law of averages if you are using one particular flavour most of the time then it sure to out do the ones that you use as a change bait, hence often the statement I caught mainly on x flavoured pellet, I personally think that flavoured feeder pellets are a waste of money, but do like to flavour the hooker pellets I catch more on Banana flavoured than almost any other but use them more so the law of averages kicks in there. I have bottles of flavours that I have tried and dismissed and thrown plenty of ready flavoured stuff away.
      In my early days of pellet fishing I would fish with a pal every Wednesday I would do most of the bait but he would occasionaly bring along a different flavour he would be catching on say marmite flavoured pellet whilst I would be on banana, a swop over of baits seen us both have a reduced catch rate, this despite us both using the same feed pellet, a return to the original flavours saw the catch rate improve, short of the flavour lingering in the swim from the original flavour the only other explanation I can give is confidence.
      Another example is I can not catch on Ringers pellet when others in my club swear by them perhaps Carpmagic can put me right on that one or is it just a case of I dont use them often enough.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

i have to agree with kingfisher. Just pellets .... flavors can catch anglers more than fish
        In darkness we do what we can
        In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

or is it just a case of I dont use them often enough.

I think you answered you own question there mate

Comment

Another plus is that Omega pellets stay on the hook!!
            John - Kingfisher
            Talk Angling Senior Member
            Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

Must admit have a liking for the new betain one (feeder) poundland started selling,lighter colour

Comment

If you want to blow your mind with lots of fish feed info check out this web page,, have used these products and they make a cracking pellet and feed.
                www.danafeed.dk

Check out there products ( after you have selected English version)
                Last edited by polemaster; 22 February 2007, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Here's a couple more good web site for some heavy reading,

Fish Farming International

Skretting UK & Ireland
                  Last edited by polemaster; 22 February 2007, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Having been a decent enough canal squat angler,i thought this pellet lark would be a doddle.I had mixed results against average club anglers,but got stuffed against competent pellet anglers.I went round in circles,and then resorted to trying to get results on the maggot.I then went out several times with an old mate that only fished the pellet,mainly at tunnel barn farm.I learnt more from him[by watching him now and again]than in the previous season or two.I started adding small amounts of "the source",and my catch rate certainly went up.But i think the main factor was hitting the bites.I learnt how to lift into the bites,and how to put a pellet on the hook properly.Elastic haves to stretch out nicely,and things start to fall into place.I also started to match my hookbaits with my feed.Previously i thought feed 4mm,fish 6mm.I then started fishing 4mm,again i caught more.At the back end of last season i was giving my mate a run for his money,because i was more confident in what i was doing,but mainly because i had learnt how to hit the bites.Im now looking forward to a few pellet matches with the lads on this site[did that sound sexist?i should say fellow anglers]
                    Good luck
                    cornerstone.

Comment

i only fish with a natural carp pellet and band it to my hook works for me every time. dont like the flavoured pellets think the fish feed better if its natural and simple just like me lol
                      [CENTER][/CENTER][SIZE="4"]The carrot is out there:eek: wiltshire mafia:eek: [/SIZE]

Comment

I dont really fish with pellet that often but, from what I've read and picked up I think that you may as well stick with the popular fishmeal brands in the summer and try out the more distinctive flavours to give you an edge in the winter. More importantly is getting the feeding pattern right.

Comment

[QUOTE=cornerstone]But i think the main factor was hitting the bites.QUOTE]

i will agree with that cornerstone! now i have seen matches at manor farm when 200lb has come off a peg on the saturday and a club match has fished it on the sunday same peg and an inexperianced pellet angler has struggled for 10lb why? beacasue he has been waiting for that one positive movement on the float that sees it sail away, in the mean time he has missed a dozen bites! as you say the key is to reading your float and knowing when to shallow up by a inch to two to keep in touch with the fish
                          Matt Smith
                          Bag'em matchbaits

Comment

Over the past year I have heard a LOT of talk about this pellet and that pellet.
                            The best I have used by a mile are ringers coldwater pellets followed by ringers normal expander pellet.I really don't think carp are that fussy and there are a few requirements that great pellet MUST have.
                            1,it's got to be visable
                            2,it has to be soft
                            3,the hook must pull through it with ease.
                            A carps main focus in life is to spend less energy finding and eating food than is in the actual food.
                            Your gonna catch carp on any pellet but imo you will catch more if they can see it and it's soft.

Comment

i dont know if i would go so far to say they must be soft? cuz my brother uses a soft pellet where as i use a hard pellet on a band, and i have out done him every time, well almost every time
                              [CENTER][/CENTER][SIZE="4"]The carrot is out there:eek: wiltshire mafia:eek: [/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X