Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Light or Dark Pellets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light or Dark Pellets

Your opinions please. When fishing a commercial with with highly coloured water in it do you think its better to use a light coloured hook pellet or a dark coloured one. Does it make any difference.?
    http://www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk/

For me, when the fish are on the munch, I'm more interested in the texture. I don't want a pellet which leaves me wondering if I still have a bait on the hook.

Having said that, this winter I have found that the carp vader 4mm pineapple hook pellets have caught me an extra fish or two, over a tiny sprinkle of micro's.

Just out of interest, the pineapple pellets come out of the tub yellow, but quickly turn white when in the water.The carp vader white coconut pellets are too bright and over-flavoured for my liking.

Comment

Myself in winter I have more confidence in a lighter coloured pellet for the simple reason that they can see it more easily,I also put 1 piece of corn everytime I feed either on the pole or tip for 2 reasons

1 visibility
      2 the lysine in the corn attracts carp (not so sure this works good in winter)

In summer carp are a different animal and the darker pellets have more attractors,but you can add your own attractors to light coloured pellet.
      I recon visibility is more important than attractors in winter but attractors are more important in summer.
      If your on a shedfull of hungry carp it don't relly matter :-)

Comment

don't (really) matter as well,to late to edit lol

Comment

tryed most expanders and not really found any preference.I am more concerned about the consistancy of the pellet(hookability)

Comment

(IMO) i think that the colour helps sometime, i think that the smell and the oils in the pellet are more inportent cuz there sense smell is far far better than there sight (but hay what do i know lol)
            [CENTER][/CENTER][SIZE="4"]The carrot is out there:eek: wiltshire mafia:eek: [/SIZE]

Comment

So if sight does not play a part how come that some days you can only catch on a red maggot whilst a white or bronze goes untouched and another day the opposite may occur. I have noticed that some days a lighter coloured pellet will outfish a darkone, is the lighter one seen as a bait that has lay on the bottom for some time therefore must be safe, and dont some of the bivvy boys fish a washed out bait, I dont purchase branded expanders and prefer to do my own, and always look for the odd bag of lighter coloured pellets to give me the option, it may of course only be the colour of the fishmeal that alters the colour of the finished pellet.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Mmmm interesting answers there I was expecting a answer like if the fish are there they will take any colour off somebody.
                http://www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk/

Comment

hi brian
                  i think that they can see not saying they cant, but everyone looks for something that smells diffrent where it be meat,corn,pellet or even maggots, they allways looking to add something to it to give them a edge,so thats why i think that smell is more important.
                  [CENTER][/CENTER][SIZE="4"]The carrot is out there:eek: wiltshire mafia:eek: [/SIZE]

Comment

Flavours are really a confidence thing, unless you are doing tests and on the day comparisons you cant be sure that the flavour has done anything, and yes I use some but seeing as most pellets contain fishmeal they have their own inbuilt flavour, when top anglers like Steve Ringer and Neil Machin rarely use them then I have started to wonder wether they catch more anglers than fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian G
                      Flavours are really a confidence thing, unless you are doing tests and on the day comparisons you cant be sure that the flavour has done anything, and yes I use some but seeing as most pellets contain fishmeal they have their own inbuilt flavour, when top anglers like Steve Ringer and Neil Machin rarely use them then I have started to wonder wether they catch more anglers than fish.
                      Not sure about Neil but I recon Steve Ringer tries more flavours/aminos/attractors than 99% of match anglers,I have never met the guy Brian and I could be dead wrong but he strikes me as that type of guy.
                      I believe he uses meat a lot because it's very versatile and such a good carrier of liquids/powders/colourings.
                      In summer paste outfishes pretty much everything on the pole and I feel it's because it breaks down so quickly that it release flavours and amino acids in the water for a carp to home in on,a bit like we can smell an Indian resturant for 1/4 mile away but can only smell a chippy from 30 yds.
                      Again I could be dead wrong but that's my thoughts

Comment

yeah brian i take on board what you are saying but think alfie hit the nail on the head on what he put but maybe im wrong?

Comment

I am sure that both Neil and Steve rarely if at all flavour their pellets as per questions raised at forums at our club, Steve may use some in winter he mentioned scopex and activate, Neil mentioned scopex as a way of masking smells from his hands, I am sure that flavours are a confidence thing use them if you think they are doing you good I use bannana flavour and have every confidence in it.
                          Ok specimen carpers use them but then they will leave a bait out for hours whose to say that it retains much or all its flavour after being out in the water for say 6/8 hours

Comment

yeah i must agree with you there brian if it is left out there that long im sure it would lose it flavour

Comment

speci boys target big fish (feed a lot then wait) while matchmen target a lot of fish (little and often).
                              What I think makes a difference with addatives and amino acids is that fish will find your feed easier and stay longer all just imo of course.
                              Brian the (active8) Steve talked about is probably the the number 1 best selling boilie of all time probably soon to be overtaken by essential B5 shellfish.

Comment

Working...
                              X