Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Attitudes in Angling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attitudes in Angling

Hi All...

Went to have a look about today, with a view to fishing an Open tommorrow...
    Checked one place out & was told it would be an affordable 'Open'...

£12 entry & pays £15 per three man Section!!!

Am I MISSING SOMETHING HERE??? Doesn't even cover your fuel if you pick-up...
    Complete waste of time IMO...

No wonder the turn-outs are dwindling...

you havent a clue

look at the club match scene its thriving because they only fish for perhaps a tenner,this 20 quid pools -5/6/7 quid peg fee and optional pool + 1 kilo worms 5 pints of casters and god knows what else bait wise is whats killing open match fishing

Comment

Originally posted by dam View Post
      you havent a clue

look at the club match scene its thriving because they only fish for perhaps a tenner,this 20 quid pools -5/6/7 quid peg fee and optional pool + 1 kilo worms 5 pints of casters and god knows what else bait wise is whats killing open match fishing
      If I'm going to invest in quality tackle...Take time preparing Bait/Tying Hooks/Travelling etc...
      I want to know that I stand a chance of picking something decent up, if I score...

Common sense, else whats the point??

Comment

my club only pays out about £8 per section,yet we 10t12 anglers fish the matches each time ,
        ive got quality tackle and i travel we dont go very far tho ,thers no chance of getting any money back ,i agree it doesnt cover the cost,s but none the lads i fish with, seem to bother about it

Comment

When money is the main factor in match fishing its time to pack in, because you cant afford it. Thats exactly what I did for 18 years and only wet a line once in that time, having quality gear is not the perrogative of the open match angler, indeed a few good open match anglers dont have or need the latest gear, but helps many to be comfortable whilst they are fishing, and subsequently catch more fish and enjoy their day out.
          My match fishing these day is more about the company as the winning, although the odd pick up of a few quid is a bonus and just makes for a cheap day out.
          Affordables were introduced to increase participation on mid weekers were turn outs were low, if there was no demand there would be no matches.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by stkflote View Post
            my club only pays out about £8 per section,yet we 10t12 anglers fish the matches each time ,
            ive got quality tackle and i travel we dont go very far tho ,thers no chance of getting any money back ,i agree it doesnt cover the cost,s but none the lads i fish with, seem to bother about it
            I spent years on the River Circuit, travelling far & wide & seem to recall paying £15 Pools back then, if I didn't frame or get any section money, I just put it down to experience & there was always next week...

In Pool/Snooker/Darts etc if someone is skilled at these, they get a pat on the back & admiration...Why is this different in Angling???

Comment

[QUOTE=Brian G;102484]When money is the main factor in match fishing its time to pack in, because you cant afford it.

That's my whole point Brian...If I'm going to go to the trouble of meticulously preparing Bait & Tackle, I want to know I'm fishing for something worthwhile...

Just the way I grew up I guess...But I find these affordables totally unattractive...

Comment

I much prefer and I expect a few others do, the'knock-up' type match

get twenty or so like minded fellas around a pond or on a river stretch, £10 all-in, pay out section money and maybe a trophy,

have a craic whilst yer doing it, bragging rights are the thing, getting yerself a 'Title' is even better,

you gotta be sponsored to get anywhere on the circuit, and sponsored wel

Comment

so you are saying that club anglers dont tie hooks and prepare their bait and tackle to a high standard - now i am convinced that you havent a clue

most anglers in this country even the BEST want to win - the money comes second - most of the countries elite match anglers fish small affordable opens at some stage

i have had the pleasure of winning a big fishing festival in ireland -people still know i won it - they dont ever mention how much i won-and to be honest standing up at that presentation with 200 men applauding including 4 world champions gave me the biggest buzz ever, the money although nice, wasnt even thought about for days after when i realised how much it had cost to to settle the bar bill
                  Last edited by dam; 13 August 2009, 01:15 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=dam;102491]'So you are saying that club anglers dont tie hooks and prepare their bait and tackle to a high standard'...

Where have I said that...

I'm a Club Angler myself at the moment, but have been shocked at the poor turnouts on the Opens I've turned up for...
                    I think that half the reason, is because the 'Affordables' aren't worth fishing...
                    What's the point of turning out, if there is nothing to fish for...
                    Kudos???...

As for not having a clue, I've fished Nationals/Winter Leagues & 500 Peggers etc...in the past...

Comment

Dace I know where your coming from on this

I don't like small matches and much prefer to mix it amongst the masses, winning a 3 peg section is no more challenging than opening a cadbury's cream egg.

Having said that there is a place for affordables and as they quite clearly state its an affordable I cant see the problem. you need to move on to a different venue

these commies have ruined the big match scene, there is too much choice and lots of anglers that cant run with the pace tend to go off and fish the little knock ups /affordables, the only big matches left are the festivals, winter and summer leagues and the big one offs like the fisho and the nationals.

I don't beleive we will see the return of the 100 / 200 peggers for some time and even less so in the south.

Originally posted by dam View Post
                      you havent a clue

I think the point here is he does have a clue, the baits you quote are extremes an example of this would be Monk lakes this weekend 60 pegger saturday I squeezed a 2nd with less than a tenners worth of bait the winner of the 72 pegger there on sunday used 8 quids worth of worms, the pools were 20 quid all in ,

what pushes the costs up are the high pegging fee's found on commies, they have to be high to cover restocking insurance and other running costs, and the commies are doing ok because you club anglers keep them financially afloat by returning.

stop booking them and we will all be back to 200 peggers on the canal and using 2 quids worth of bait

JC
                      [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
                      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER][B][U]Carlsburg Disgorgers[/U][/B][/CENTER]
                      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
                      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

dace ace if you want to fish for big money then go for the big matches.sounds to me like you want to target smaller matches where people are just out for the enjoyment of angling so you can frame with ease i can name a few matches where you can pick up good money.i dont know where you are from but im sure if you state so ill find you a local match that will have more money appeal to it.but remember this,where there is good money there are a lot of pro's this is not like taking candy from a baby.in short m8 you need to look at the larger picture instead of pulling down the smaller matches fish the larger matches,and leave the hard work that people have done to get these matches going alone.as you have mentioned you have fish big major events so i have a question for you why on this earth would you want to fish small matches knowing that small matches never have big payouts(not enough people).easy money sounds like the thing to me.before you tell me i dont know what im on about im in big matches every week min pay out £300...no sections first three or nothing

keep up the hard work on the smaller matches folks the building blocks of match fishing
                        Last edited by rich200; 13 August 2009, 07:28 AM.
                        Paypal gift is for friends only

Comment

[QUOTE=rich200;102500]dace ace if you want to fish for big money then go for the big matches.sounds to me like you want to target smaller matches where people are just out for the enjoyment of angling so you can frame with ease i can name a few matches where you can pick up good money.

Perhaps I haven't explained myself too-well...I'm in a Club at the moment, after a long lay-off...But now after finding my feet again, I'm looking to up the ante...

But have been dissapointed at the OPEN scene, after having a look at it, seems to be dominated by these affordables, that are completely unattractive to me, because the OPENS that I used to fish, you simply didn't enter, if you were afraid of competition...

Whilst having a wander round the other day, I came across a very good Angler having a 'Fish a' Chuck'...I watched from a RESPECTABLE distance & spoke only when spoken to...
                          Afterwards I found him completeley approachable & he showed his rigs & explained the technique etc...He stated how he'd 'Had a Run' & had, had to endure sarcastic comments because of this, this illustrates, what I'm getting at...
                          Last edited by DaceAce; 13 August 2009, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justin case View Post
                            stop booking them and we will all be back to 200 peggers on the canal and using 2 quids worth of bait
                            JC
                            Until everybody gets the ball ache (again) with the dire fishing, cars being broken into, poles run over by cyclist, dog sh1t, boaters that only care about themselves etc etc, and then only to weight in a couple of pounds.

I've done all that, including winning matches from 50 to 100+ pegs on the Grand Union and I ain't in no rush to go back.

The problem as I see it is there is too much choice now - too many venues holding matches so the numbers will be spread about a bit - perhaps venue owners then thought they would encourage more attendees by making it cheaper but more likely is their regulars complained it was getting a bit too dear.

The biggest matches now are the ones with the biggest prizes - food for thought perhaps?

Comment

where are you from dace ace and what opens have you been looking to fish?

Solihull?
                              Last edited by Larry Teepot; 13 August 2009, 12:20 PM.
                              In darkness we do what we can
                              In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Working...
                              X