Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Spoilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoilt

Have been taking my 12 year old fishing over the past 2 years to commies.
    Last weekend i decided to forgo the match scene for the day and take him to a quiet stretch of canal.
    After around 2 hours of, what i thought was great fishing.
    Squatt caught roach, gudgeon and the odd decent billy. He announced.
    Flipping heck dad ! "This place is rubbish, i havn't caught a carp yet and all the fish are tiddlers".
    In vain i tried to explain the art of canal fishing and that it would make him a better angler in the long run.
    It fell on deaf ears, and the ungratefull little sod moaned and groaned for the next 3 hours or so.
    Are our kids spoilt ? I fear they are in regards to instant gratification. Christ ! It took me years as a kid to catch a decent fish. His best already is a 12 pound common on the pole.
    He even whinged to his mother when we got home about the size of the fish he caught.
    On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

I think the only way is to take them to the cut first and then somewhere easier after.

Wont be long before they want to go on the commies though. If you can just hold them back for a couple of initial sessions, it'll help them appreciate each fish and keep things in perspective.

Hopefully
    Whitnash Royals A.C.

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post
      Have been taking my 12 year old fishing over the past 2 years to commies.
      Last weekend i decided to forgo the match scene for the day and take him to a quiet stretch of canal.
      After around 2 hours of, what i thought was great fishing.
      Squatt caught roach, gudgeon and the odd decent billy. He announced.
      Flipping heck dad ! "This place is rubbish, i havn't caught a carp yet and all the fish are tiddlers".
      In vain i tried to explain the art of canal fishing and that it would make him a better angler in the long run.
      It fell on deaf ears, and the ungratefull little sod moaned and groaned for the next 3 hours or so.
      Are our kids spoilt ? I fear they are in regards to instant gratification. Christ ! It took me years as a kid to catch a decent fish. His best already is a 12 pound common on the pole.
      He even whinged to his mother when we got home about the size of the fish he caught.
      Fear not Spadger, he sounds like a normal kid of today. Everything on a plate & double quick at that.
      We as parents are to blame though... for example, if they've never had a second hand bone shaker of a bike why would they appreciate a new one like someone who did have a bone shaker (i.e. dad when he was a kid )

Comment

..... then again if you go back another generation they probably think we were spoiled just having a bike, bone shaker or not

Comment

It's not that kids of today are "spoilt". It is the kind of reaction you have to expect.........your son has been exposed to "easy" fish catching on the commercials and for him - this is normal, so catching a few tiddlers on the cut IS a load of rubbish by comparrison. It's like putting a black and white TV or a stereogram in his room. Things have moved on and expectations are not the same as they were for us old farts... :P
          Once upon a time.....I said to the guys in the our local club "If we could find a venue where we could all catch 10lb of fish....we'd never bother going to any other venues"...that was only about 10-12yrs ago. Now, you would be embarrassed to weigh that in at a commie, even in the winter.
          "Here fishy, fishy, fishy........"

Comment

Ah.
            The old stereogram. Remember em well Jomo. Me grandma had one that you could stack a dozen singles on.
            Ah. Singles remember them.......
            Christ better stop now before i get onto Edgar Sealey, Intrepid, Abu mk5s........
            I think i understand the old fart bit now mate.
            On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo3159 View Post
              "If we could find a venue where we could all catch 10lb of fish....we'd never bother going to any other venues"...that was only about 10-12yrs ago. Now, you would be embarrassed to weigh that in at a commie, even in the winter.
              I wouldn't, but I'm crap....

Comment

Working...
              X