Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

lost fish on the feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost fish on the feeder

help needed please i fished a match this week the wind was so strong that i fished the inline feeder my problem was not getting the bites but getting the fish in. on the venue thay only allow free running feeders so you cant fish the method so i set up with 6lb maxima with a guru inline feeder with maxima hook lengh tied hair rig pr36 hooks size 14 and my rod is a carbon active. i came 2nd on the match with 42lb 8oz the winner had 70lb and 3rd weighed in 31 lb my problem was i lost 17 fish on this match my stamp of fish on the day was only about 2lb but the ones that i did get in were all well hooked in the mouth. i tried to play them in slowley but as thay nod there heads around the net i was loseing them. i was thinking how could i do this with elastic on the feeder and still have it free runnig or was it my set up ? the fish that i lost had all been hooked in the mouth and not foul hooked and i even changed my hook twice. i feel that i could have got a lot closer to the winner if i tweaked something but i dont know what. at least the two ta anglers came 1st and 2nd so well done jack t .

Hook Pull-outs

If anyone can come up with one single sollution to this, they could earn themselves a fortune m8.
    We suffer quite badly with the wind and hook pulls at Thorpe and it is really tricky trying to find the terminal tackle that best does the job. I have started to use the Guru circle hooks with hair-rigged corn, meat or bread disks and I do seem to be getting a greater proportion of my fish in, mostly hooked in the side of the mouth.
    Then, of course, you have to find the right length of hair and hook-length. With the wind on your back it's quite easy, with a side wind you want no longer than 25cm, with a head wind go at short as you can without reducing the frequency of your bites.
    Which ever of these wind conditions you get, drop your rod-tip on the cast so that it hits the water at the same time as your bomb/feeder and take in the slack under water ASAP. Lift into any tip movement, in particular little drop backs and play the fish back to you with your tip as low as possible (under the water if you can). Try not to lift your rod up untill that final moment that you want to net it.....Oh....and don't forget to pray!
    "Here fishy, fishy, fishy........"

Comment

The main thing i find with inlines is to use a soft rod.

Comment

thanks for the mention,,
        i losted fish too but not as many but i used size 16 PR36 but clive came round and sed too tighten the rod up so u hav a big bend round so if it knicks it its gona inbend the fish quicker and stop hook pulls but stil ilost some, Hope it helps mate.
        u fishin nexxt wednesday and saturday ???

Comment

With a running in-line or running method slide the feeder on the line tie a big loop to leave 12 - 18 inches of doubled up line with long tail left on the knot ( with a link swivel in) so when the feeder travels up the line (which it will) then it falls back onto the knot and not back to the swivel. Therefore when fish shakes its head it has less effect on the hook hold Hey presto less lost fish now where is my cash

Comment

Im sure I remember someone telling me that lost small to medium fish using an inline feeder is due to the feeder banging down onto the swivel/hooklength.
            Try tying a piece of laccy inside the feeder to trap the line to reduce the feeder running so freely, this will stop it banging but still make it a free running rig.
            The inspiration behind the Maver C-Loc method feeder.

Comment

mate im sure they wud allow the elasticated guru feeders because of the safe system they use, inline can bounce and knock the hook free which coud have been most of the prob was you hair riggin the bait? but again it cud have just been on the day mate it happened to me a few weeks back i used the guru pellet feeder elasticated didnt hair rig and lost loads that day the followin week used the shot gun feeder hair rigged corn didnt loose one mate we all have days like it so dont worry to much just try a few diff things on the day
              [SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][SIZE=1][SIZE=7]malman floats[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][SIZE=5][/SIZE][B][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

Comment

lost fish on the feeder

yes mate i was on a hair rig

Comment

How big a gap are you leaving between the hook and the bait? I would try a much smaller hook and not strike (well pick rod up!) untill the rod is right round or drops right back.

Comment

lost fish on the feeder

hi mate i left about 10mm between the hook and the banded pellet and i didnt strike thay just pull it all the way around. but i have been talking to a few lads at fosters in birmingham and thay told me that it is a common problem with inline feeders but i cant just exept that their has got to be a reason.....

Comment

lost fish on the feeder

sory nathern i was on pr 36 size 16 at the start of the match but the fish do go up to 10lb so when i changed my hook in the match i did change to a size 14

Comment

make your hair shorter / use a lighter feeder all helps, the method is all about chop and change. hookbait, hooklengths etc until you find the one that works on the day and you are confident in. If you clip your hooklengths on you can have loads of pre tied ready and waiting

Comment

Hair sounds about right to me but try shorter or longer, longer can be better for big fish, shorter for small but never have the bait touching the hook. Also as someone alse said I tie a twizzeled loop but only 2 or 3 inches for the feeder to slide on and it will normally stop at the knot, especially if you use a snap swivel with a small diamond eye! I would try a smaller hook, not sure how small they go but I normally use a Fox series 2 size 20 which I reckon would be the same size as a Preston 18. I would never trust a Preston hook again after every time I used them, the point went after a couple of fish! Not the PR36s and it was a while ago so they might have sorted it now?

Comment

Possible solution to lost fish on the feeder.

This thread got me thinking about all those carp I have lost at the net due to the feeder banging down loosening the hookhold. I believe what I have come up with will stop this.
                            What I did was take a Preston method feeder and cut away the middle section with a hacksaw/stanley knife. Then thread the line in and out of the middle, slide on two rubber float stops then thread the line out of the end. This leaves the rubber stops trapped in the middle, stopping the feeder from sliding so freely. It has three advantages, one being it will act like a fixed method so the carp gets hooked by the weight of the feeder, and second if the line does get snapped above the feeder it will still pull free thus still making it a free running rig. And most importantly it will not bump off those carp
                            Preston can get hold of me here on TA for improving their design, and I will gladly take a cut of any winnings lol.
                            Here is a pic of a modified feeder - sorry about the picture size.

Neilio.
                            Last edited by Neilio; 30 August 2009, 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
                            The inspiration behind the Maver C-Loc method feeder.

Comment

lost fish on the feeder

hi mate thanks for thinking about my problem it seems that a lot of people have the same prob. i also cant stop thinkiing about it and the lads on this thread have come up with some good ideas. i have converted a guru feeder and basicley i have taken the bar out of the middle very close to the bar you have on your preston one and i have cut the bottom 10mm of it then i have glued it in the top bar becuase this part has got a sholder inside it to alow a swivel to then sit inside i have then glued in a peice of the bar at the bottom then driled it out to make it wider so it more or less looks like your feeder but all the center bar between your top bar and the bottom bar is missing .so that then allows me to have a small swivel at the top with some black hydro in the middle and a larger swivel right at the very bottom then tie my hook lengh to that so if i do get smashed it means the small swivel will be able to pull all the way through. so i think you could then class this as a running feeder but still have a elastic running through it . that was complicated to exsplane i wish i could use a computer better then i could show you a pic also the lads in fosters came up with putting a drennan grippa stop above the feeder that would also alow the line to runn through if pulled but would be firm enough to stop the feeder bounceing.........

Comment

Working...
                              X