Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

in a pickle....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in a pickle....

Anyone got any decent advice for a carp fisherman who`s entering his first ever match?? I`ll be probably the only person on the pool using a rod, so was lookin for any tricks or hints to try an outsmart the pole fisherman an maybe get a reasonably bag,so i dont become pole fodder!!

Welcome to my world mate. As long as you know how to fish the rod, it's just a matter of being accurate with your casting and with your feeding. If they are close in, it can be just a case of lower it in like a pole angler and lift it out when you got one! if you get a lump close in, have your drag set - you don't have to worry about sticking extra bits of pole on when one tears off across the pool. I only fish occasional matches, here at our place, and I Haven't won one, but I have beat some pole anglers. Sometimes, I think it can be a confidence thing.

To be honest, if it were me... I'd have stuck to carp fishing! good luck pal
    [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Does the fishery you're going to respond to the pellet waggler as this can beat the pole on the day. Also fish a small waggler down the edge 2BB or something like that.

Comment

the fishery seems to do best on pellet. u can use your own hookers,but u have to buy their own feeders. an theres no groundbait

Comment

If there is an island cast close to it with a small method feeder, while getting them going up in the water with pellets, change over to the waggler when you see some movement on this line.

Comment

it and go for lumps ! Fish BIG baits down the edge ot to any feature.
            What have you got to lose ?
            Keep a couple of lines going and alternate. Good luck.
            On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

I used to fish matches with a small club,and used to enjoy winding them up by fishing speci style,a couple of examples,Docklow i fished a small wagler 14 hook to 5lb line inches from the bank,8ft stalking rod and a centerpin,woodland view,freelined luncheon meat(lumps the size of a matchbox hairrigged to a 12 on 6lb line)and used my optonic it drove em barmy.poolhouse farm 3mtre whip(cost a fiver)39lb of crucians. i won all those matches, won the averages,biggest fish award and broke the top weight record.most of the time the typical match tactics will be superior but on certain venues under certain conditions the specimen approach can be devastating.(anyone thought about useing a spod on the likes of earlswood or drayton?)so dont be put off mate give em some stick.Regards Peter.
              Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Hi Hurricane I can understand the optonic winding people up when you are only fishing one rod. Why not just use the bobin? used all the other methods with some success (except for the spodding) on waters with proper lumps in. Never had 39Lb of crucians on a whip so fair play to you although I also use a couple of cheap 3m whips £3 each when the need arrises.
                all the best

Comment

The alarm was purely to wind the lads up,the method relies on watching the line(slack)between the rod tip and the water,it was the same with the pin(ratchet on)small fish swung to hand but when i had a tench or carp they could hear the pin at the other end of the lake,it was ammusing at woodlands watching the lads close to me trying to cast BIG lumps of meat on a small hook lmao.

Comment

My Mate fishes with a centre pin close in for carp when we go pleasure fishing, he says he has more control over the fish. He also fishes with the ratchet on, sounds like a football rattle. Only ever used a pin for flowing water as generally feel i have more options when using fixed spool on the local still waters.

Comment

Where theres no need for a long cast a lot of anglers(including me)prefer the pin for big fish imo it does give better control,im amazed that more match anglers dont employ this tactic for lumps in the margins.

Comment

rods are great, you can cast into other peoples swims when they catching. lol.. they dont mind honestly, when they are playing fish just have a sneaky one. loll.
                        a rod will hold its own on most commercial fisheries if fished right. and dont be affraid to drop it down the edge. most places are fairly shallow so it makes it a bit easier to fish. correct plumbing and you wont go far wrong.
                        :confused: WOW, things have changed.:confused:

Comment

Working...
                        X