Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

line onto reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• line onto reel

Whats the best way to put line on to a reel??
    i know its OK with 2 people but whats the best way on your own??
    i usually put the reel on the rod butt and get some one to hold the spool for me
    while i reel in?
    but whats the best way on your own

Personally I position the spool of line so that the line comes off easily and run the line between my knees to create tension. Some spools are designed so that the line comes off in the best clockwise/anti clockwise way. I never seem to have any bother, but if the line on your reel is inclined to kink in my youth I used to go to a field of grass let all the line come off the reel across the field and then wind in .The grass combed out the kinks!
    John - Kingfisher
    Talk Angling Senior Member
    Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

this is how i do it, i get the butt end of my rod put the reel on thread the line through eye's and onto the reel. then i get my sensas bucket i then put some warm water in it but if you are on a river or a lake just cold water is fine, if i was at home than i put some washing up liquid in it that help the line to sink when i am fishing. by putting water in a bucket it also stops the reel of line rolling all over the the place, by using the butt of the rod i can keep the line tight by reeling the line through my hand and on ot the reel. that how i get my line on the reel as easy as that

Comment

Kingfisher sounds lovely mate, but talking grass these days you will have plod popping in to see you.
        Regards Billy Boy :)

.`.??.??`.??.??`.? ><((((?>
        ><((((?>
        .`?.??.???`?.??.???`?.? ><((((?>

Comment

:d :d
          John - Kingfisher
          Talk Angling Senior Member
          Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

just drop the spool of line on the floor, if your bale arm turns anti clockwise which most do, make sure as the line comes off the spool of line clock wise that way the line wont peel off your reel, which is the case if you put it on clock wise(this is where the twist is put in). then just hold the line between your free hand while turning your reel handle in the other(reel positioned on a rod running line through the eye)

i hope this makes sense!
            Matt Smith
            Bag'em matchbaits

Comment

well i have messed that up! should read.....if your bale arm turns anti-clockwise (which most do) make sure the line comes off the spool of line anti-clockwise
              Matt Smith
              Bag'em matchbaits

Comment

thanks all

Comment

i use the good lord to help me. I place the line in the middle of the bible and find that creates just enough tension as i reel in.
                  You've never fished until you fish Lough Erne.
                  Save your pennies for the trip over it'll be worth it.:p

Comment

Ah, fermanagh angler that is a good idea! But does it help you catch more fish!

Where are you from in Fermanagh... I used to live in Maguiresbridge near Enniskillen for a while and just going out to fish the Classic this year.
                    Simon Young
                    Admin
                    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

lisnaskea

3 miles away in lisnaskea. small world eh

Comment

Fished in the king of the colebrook junior competition when i was 12. not fished another comp since. been back for the fishing last year. stopped at neddies cottage recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                        X