Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Cormorants - we are building nesting sites now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cormorants - we are building nesting sites now!

Hi guys,

Just found out that a large res near me they have built several floating platforms in the middle especially for cormorants to rest on!

The water in question is known as Cowick Res or Southfield Res just outside Sykehouse ... its attached to the new junction canal and there are at least 50 of the black death roosting there!

Here is a link to the DAA where you can see pictures of the res... Southfields Resevoirs
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Are they mad wot they gonna do when theres no fish.

Comment

That's what I call Sitting ducks!

Does anyone know of any inland sites where these birds actually nest as we are told that the adult breeders go back to the coast in early spring and any inland birds through summer are last years young and non-breeding adults.

I have heard anglers say that there are sites where they breed, but I suspect that they are just roosts. Believe it or not, if hese birds did satrt breeding inland, it could help our cause as they are only on the protected list because they are limited to less than 10 breeding sites..... funny how they don't tell you how many birds use the breeding sites and how many young are produced. The RSPB are extremely good at manipulating statistics!

After they tripled the national quota for shooting them a couple of years ago, it was reported that the increase had slowed - but that's still an increase!!!

With respect Simon, your thread title includes the term 'nesting' then you talk about 'resting'... don't work for the Angling Times do you?
      Last edited by fish farmer; 28 October 2009, 12:25 PM.
      [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

great aint they
        Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Here are a few facts which i have posted before, Dont these people realise what they are doing.

Maths: On average, a cormorant eats a pound of fish each day of it's life - that's about 10,000lbs of fish eaten over it's 25 year life-span, not including the fish it damages but doesn't eat, though those damaged fish may die later.

Two cormorants however do not destroy 20,000lbs of fish. Oh no, that's just the tip of the iceberg. A breeding pair lays a hell of a lot of eggs in 25 years. Each successful hatchling will soon consume it's own daily pound of fish and begin to lay it's own eggs. The damage is compounded with every egg that hatches. Over the span of a cormorant's lifetime, given perfect conditions and assuming that just two birds will successfully hatch each year, shooting a pair of cormorants today will save approx 21,870,302.1818 tons of fish. No, the decimal point is not in the wrong place. (See maths at bottom of this article, calculated by a Professor at Rutgers University, New Jersey). Even allowing for a huge degree of leeway, this amount of fish damage is from a starting point of just TWO birds! So how can the report claim that shooting cormorants "does not necessarily reduce predation" when it's as clear as crystal that it most certainly does

Comment

They are absolutely mad!!

Comment

That means last year i theoreticaly saved 30,000,000,0000 ton of future fish stock, im a hero,lol.
              Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Fish farmer this is from an article on the web as nesting Cormorants around our waters.

Cormorants can be seen on any of the larger rivers and on all of the large gravel pits in the country. I personally have seen them on the rivers Test, Itchen, and Avon in Hampshire, the Thames and the Kennet in Berkshire, the rivers Stour and Frome in Dorset, the Thames and other rivers in Oxfordshire, the Wey in Surrey etc. There are populations on all large lakes and gravel pits in Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Swindon, etc. THESE ARE HARDLY SEASIDE TOWNS ARE THEY

Comment

good on ya pete

Comment

Oh ye just one thing Here we go again.I wonder how long before Rive t starts to wind us up.

Comment

Well I would say they are roosting on these platforms - but why allow this, we saw bream of 3 to 5lb swimming in the margins - clearly sick and damaged with stab wounds on their backs! The res at cowick is supposedly a fishing water but if you go down there you can see 50 or more cormorants - they just use it as their base to go out from and decimate local waters, the river don is suffering with them now and we are not exactly a seaside town either!
                      Simon Young
                      Admin

Comment

more fool them as they must get rvenue from anglers paying to fish, Not for long me thinks

Comment

We just need a team of crack cormorant shooters to come to the area one morning.
                          Simon Young
                          Admin

Comment

Originally posted by fishster View Post
                            Fish farmer this is from an article on the web as nesting Cormorants around our waters.

Cormorants can be seen on any of the larger rivers and on all of the large gravel pits in the country. I personally have seen them on the rivers Test, Itchen, and Avon in Hampshire, the Thames and the Kennet in Berkshire, the rivers Stour and Frome in Dorset, the Thames and other rivers in Oxfordshire, the Wey in Surrey etc. There are populations on all large lakes and gravel pits in Nottingham, Oxford, Reading, Swindon, etc. THESE ARE HARDLY SEASIDE TOWNS ARE THEY
                            You seem a bit irate there mate, but you haven't answered my question.... are they nesting in land?? I'm not disputing the damage they do, just asked a question.

Rutland water has had inland cormorants for over 60 years - there are pike in Rutland, so there must be large stocks of silver fish as pike don't just eat trout!

I am well aware of numbers of inland birds - we had 50 one day last winter - but that doesn't mean they are nesting inland and that isn't what defra are telling us. Lets have a balance here men.... of all those tons of fish, a lot is from the sea, especially iif they do only breed on the coast.

Comment

Pete - do you think that pic is cosha?? The article, if I remember, said the pike was 2lb - that's twice as much as a cormorant eats a day. Also, look at the length of the fish in relation to the bird. If it swallowed that, the head would be sticking out of it's back end and the tail sstill out of it's beak.

Here's an idea - you get a pic of a pike leaping on an anglers wobbling rod, you get a pic of a cormorant swallowing a modest sized fish, you say hello to Photoshop and you have a sensational news story.

These birds need controling, but lets keep it real. We can shoot 8 this year, lol

Comment

Working...
                              X