Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

weedy canal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weedy canal

hi im a new member could anyone please help i live in shortheath walsall westmids by the essington and wyrley canal which has some very big fish init the problem is its very little used by boat traffic and as a result its full of weed i sapose thats why the fish are so big my problem is its always clear and full of bottom weed right across any ideas on hows best to tackle this canal any ideas would be very much appreciated thanks

If you go down past Sneyd boat yard there seems to be less weed, probably because there is usually a bit more colour.

lots of tench and skimmers.

Fish caster and bury the hook inside the caster.

Comment

rake yourself a clear patch chuck some bait in and watch, this is best done on a nice day with a beer. If fish turn up and feed go home and get your tackle

Comment

i agree you can knock yourself a rake up easy i have one i just took the head off a garden rake (wide one) and tied rope to it so i can retrive it when i throw it out.

worth looking into !
        [CENTER][B][url]www.ukfishingforums.co.uk[/url][/B][/CENTER]

Comment

hi dandanuk seems you know this canal i try to fish at the back of bridge pub where its quiet where are you talking about by the gypsy site or towards beechdale and have you ever tried bread on here and what tackle pole/rod/elastic etc and i was worried about a rake in case it frightens off the fish does it really work please reply

Comment

Originally posted by rummins123
            hi dandanuk seems you know this canal i try to fish at the back of bridge pub where its quiet where are you talking about by the gypsy site or towards beechdale and have you ever tried bread on here and what tackle pole/rod/elastic etc and i was worried about a rake in case it frightens off the fish does it really work please reply
            sorry mate don't really know where you mean, but i do fish my local canal the Leeds & Liverpool Canal and that can be really weedy in areas and this is the method i use when clearing a swim, i also use this method if i'm clearing any chosen swim which has over grown weed.

yes this can frigten away fish if you plonk it right on top of them but the idea is to rake away excess weed it wouldn't be right to remove all the weeds as the fish live there and if you were to remove all the weed you could ruin the swim for other anglers and yourself if you chose to use it again, so it's best to rake yourself a path so you have a clear retrieve when reeling in your fish, and it's always a good idea to replace the weeds back to the water when finished fishing, it's all about conserving our waters and leaving them fishable for others.

if you need any more help just ask

Dan.
            [CENTER][B][url]www.ukfishingforums.co.uk[/url][/B][/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
            X