Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat

Has anybody heard of boiling luncheon meat before using it, only I riddled some the other day and when I fed it some of it floated.

{Plumrose chopped ham with pork.}

I imagine that'l be due to fat content (either in the meat or that you failed to wash off) or the pieces were too small to break the surface tension.

I use bacon grill with the external fat washed off, then when it's riddled dust it in groundbait (usually swimstim method) to degrease it a bit. This then sinks even when 3mm riddled.

Have you tried squeezing the meat into a loose ball before feeding it too?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][I][COLOR="pink"]Team Teepot Match Group[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks Dave, have never washd meat before using it, {does it still cube O.K. in my meat cutter after it has been wet} no additives allowed on the venue I am fishing just plain meat so cannot add any dust.

Comment

Yea, it should cube up just fine.

If that were the case I'd dust it in groundbait then seive it off and discard it. Should take some of the grease with it leaving only meat behind.
        [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][I][COLOR="pink"]Team Teepot Match Group[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Cheers will try that.

Comment

I've found that fresh meat will usually sink ok. Meat that is say a week old, that maybe youve taken to a match and not used, and put in the fridge for a week will tend to float.I think its because the fat leaks out when it gets warm and has a similar effect as bristle grease on a float. If you swill it in water it should sink again, but it may stick to the catapult slightly and reduce accuracy. Best to use it fresh ie keep it in a cool bag until you need it. Dont put any additives on it as this makes it stick in the catapult too.

Comment

didn't think of that royst, i wouldn't keep it for use again to be honest.

Comment

in my experience meat that has been frozen a fair bit generally floats

Comment

Cheers All

Comment

Don't put it in boiling water, it can disintar..distsin..disinteg.. fall apart, just soak in warm water will remove lots of fats.

Alternatively, try Spam or Morrisons own brand, which has a lower fat content

Comment

Che Che Che Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X