Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Length of matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length of matches

How long do you think is the optimum length of time a match should be run over. In the lincs, notts area the 6 hour match is becoming the norm. I've even fished a 7 hour match which i think is far to long i had a numb bum at the end of it and felt the after effects for days.

After getting used to fishing 6 hour matches 5 hours seems to short, however if your not catching 6 hours is a long time.

What do you think is the best length a match should be run over.
    Steve Davies

Hi DNW ,
    We normally fish 5 hour matches which to me is fine but if the club has travelled , something like 30 miles plus, we then fish 6 hours and that can drag on ; especially if your not catching .

Comment

5 hours in summer,4 in winter.If you ever suffer back problems then any more than 4-5 hours can be murder.
      cornerstone

Comment

The club i used to belong to fish 5 hours on the pools and 4 hours on the canal i thought this is about right

Comment

If you've travelled miles it's worth stopping an extra hour

Comment

Personally I like the international rule matches I've fished, of 3 hours.
            [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][I][COLOR="pink"]Team Teepot Match Group[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

5 hours for me, 6 hours is too long. This is especially so in the summer with lots of carp in a keepnet especially if the water is shallow.
              [url]http://www.fishinglessons.org.uk/[/url]

Comment

I much prefer 6 hour matches - I spend enough hours at work during the week and like to fish the longer matches. I think in summer it is more important to fish at the right times as well. On a lot of carp venues, the fish don't start to feed properly until after 3pm - I see so many clubs at my local venue packing up at 3 o'clock having not caught much as they have fished 10-3.

Comment

Thats true pikey i used to live in the west mids and fished at boldings near bridgnorth. The sunday match always took place from 2 til 7 after the lakes had been fished by club matches in the morning. In the morning they would have 30lb to 50lb winning and in the open the weights would go up to 100lb plus with most anglers weighing over 30lb.

Know i live in lincs i've got used to fishing 6 hour matches and even if you fall behind it gives you time to catch up.
                  Steve Davies

Comment

On our local water i run the open matches, and they're all 5 hour, but the clubs i've fished with have all been 6 hours, don't think i've ever heard of a 7 hour one.

Comment

All matches i fish should end as soon as i get into the lead....

Dont even think about saying it
                      In darkness we do what we can
                      In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

It was on a place called peacock lakes at gunthorpe in notts. They normally agree a start time and finish with those on the open and because nobody had anything to get back for it was agreed 7 hours.

The peg i was on is a one method peg and it was fishing at 16 meters to a far bank feature, so i was sat in the same position all day, not something i would ever do again. I had a bad back , sore bum.
                        Steve Davies

Comment

Peacock Lakes, is that the lake at the side of the road, just before the bridge?

Comment

No Dave, you actually turn off the main road that goes across the trent and head through the village of gunthorpe there is a small cul-de-sac called peacock close with aprox ten bungalows on it. It has aprox 25 pegs with 60 - 70 lb nets of silvers possible or you can target the carp which as a lot of what they call growlers 8lb plus carp. The breakfast on site is about the best i've come across and i've field tested a few. Carl is the owner and even though he's a brummy a nicer bloke you couldn't meet.
                            Steve Davies

Comment

Originally posted by D N W
                              No Dave, you actually turn off the main road that goes across the trent and head through the village of gunthorpe there is a small cul-de-sac called peacock close with aprox ten bungalows on it. It has aprox 25 pegs with 60 - 70 lb nets of silvers possible or you can target the carp which as a lot of what they call growlers 8lb plus carp. The breakfast on site is about the best i've come across and i've field tested a few. Carl is the owner and even though he's a brummy a nicer bloke you couldn't meet.
                              Amazing, i've done so much fishing and river walking down there and i never knew there was a lake through Gunthorpe village i'll have to check that out. Does the owner allow matches or is it just for pleasure anglers?

Comment

Working...
                              X