Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Bad Pegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Pegs

Why do fishery owners put bad pegs in on matches?

I fished a match recently (35pegs) and was told a week before by a regular,(and at the draw} that if I was to draw a certain area, that I may as well go home.

Well guess what,------- yes I drew that area, along with another four anglers.

Total weight off this area was 2lb 11oz. Peg fee £20, bait £12, travelling expenses,breakfast and --ssed wet through, why do'nt they make the matches 30pegs and allow people to try and catch fish instead of taking peg fees for an area where it is noted for no fish.

By the way the other anglers in this area were just as --ssed off as me.

KEEP SMILING

Yes, before you say it I do have an option whether to fish the match or not, and please do'nt tell me it's the look of the draw.

Should these pegs be taken out of matches?

The way a match should be pegged is if the organiser drew the peg would he be happy to fish it, if not it shouldn't be in. However, the organiser/venue owner doesn't normally fish the match but does take day ticket money and that is the overriding factor, he would want anglers to catch but most of all he wants the revenue.
    Steve Davies

Comment

Cheers D.N.W. I agree with you.

P.S. It should read luck, and not look, before I am corrected.

Comment

there is ALWAYS a worst peg on the lake no matter what gets left out.
        So everyone knows the bad pegs and they get left out,then what pegs are left there will be a worst peg of that lot so you leave it out,then there will be a worst peg of the rest.
        You can't get away from it and yes there will always be a place on the venue you don't want to draw but if you get it you just have to do the best with what you have got.....it's that simple

Comment

A lot of the matches I fish are based on numbers attending. If 20 pegs are required for the numbeer of anglers then the best 20 are put in, not every peg will win the match but at least you will catch a few. There is also decent section places to fish for so its not the be all and end all if you draw out of the out and out flyers.
          [COLOR="Red"]GOT Baits you know it makes sense[/COLOR]

[url]www.gotbaits.co.uk[/url]

[[url]http://keithgandhi.blogspot.co.uk/[/url]

Comment

Nothing wrong in talking to locals or regulars, but unless you,ve seen em fish you dont know how good they are or at what level of ability they,ve achieved, and i say that respectfully. In your case Ferryman what you were told was indeed correct, but their are occassions when you can receive oceans of bum info. As for fishery owners apparently just out to put backsides in pegs its my opinion that punters will soon dry up and fishery landlords will become market gardeners or folk singers. I myself wont frequent any fisheries with a record of poor performancies because as you say it is to a degree expensive depending on your circumstances and cost does sometimes overshadow entertainment value. Nobody can become a succesfull fishery manager accidentally, you have to put some work in. The poor owners will and have found that out.

Comment

same on our Cut we always try to put pegs in where we know there are fish we will often use the best pegs out of 50 for 15 anglers and they are not in a line,,
              In darkness we do what we can
              In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

woodys comments are spot on . local 'spivs' info can be either spot on or a million miles away. i remember fishing a daiwa club angler semi on castle ashby a few years ago. it was april and freezing with ice in the margins. having drawn a flier i asked the local spiv how to approach it .he said i would win it off this peg . go for carp. what about the ice? carp will feed he said. 4 hours into the match and no carp caught on the whole lake i went for roach. i weighed 5lb and missed out on my section by ounces and the all expenses paid trip to ireland . local knowledge! i stick with what i know these days!
                the carrot bites back:D
                ooh you are awful!!

Comment

Talking of bad pegs.Stockton peg 20-1 small chub caught on the whistle.peg 21-nothing.peg 22-8 ounce.peg 23-5.5 ounce.peg 24-1.5 ounce.I was on peg 22 and grafted for that pathetic weight,as did the others.We all tried for bits,but nothing was feeding[if anything was their].This was todays intersite match.Along with the other anglers im really ed off.Known bad pegs were put in,and the match turned out to be an expensive day out.£15 plus petrol,superpools £5 plus every bait imaginable,works out £30-£40,still it wont happen to me again.
                  cornerstone.

Comment

Alfie, I agree there is always going to be a bad peg but at least they would hold some fish, thus giving people a chance to catch, but to put pegs in where it is noted for not holding fish I think is out of order.

Again I believe Woody1 is spot on, and I for one will not visit this venue again if this area is pegged in a match.

Thanks to all who replied.

Comment

Originally posted by cornerstone
                      Talking of bad pegs.Stockton peg 20-1 small chub caught on the whistle.peg 21-nothing.peg 22-8 ounce.peg 23-5.5 ounce.peg 24-1.5 ounce.I was on peg 22 and grafted for that pathetic weight,as did the others.We all tried for bits,but nothing was feeding[if anything was their].This was todays intersite match.Along with the other anglers im really ed off.Known bad pegs were put in,and the match turned out to be an expensive day out.£15 plus petrol,superpools £5 plus every bait imaginable,works out £30-£40,still it wont happen to me again.
                      cornerstone.
                      I caught that 1 chub right at the death, it was indeed a soul testing day. The peg to my right had one carp on the method and no other takes, he was deluding himself too about liners it was more gusts of wind sending tumbleweed across the desert floor!

I have fished all three stockton matches that have been run and each time I have had to fish this end of the boards, AND within two pegs of the last time. It has always fished total pants, even when the whole lake was ours and the crap pegs were allegedly left out. Stockton does not fish well when sunny, nor at the time of day we fish matches. I fished a match there last month and the same pegs were used along the boards upto peg 16 and then along the top from peg 35. Pretty much the same pegs that framed yesterday framed then. The pegs you and I were on and the pegs opposite were left out as they traditionally are poor in matches.

Go in the late afternoon to late evening and those pegs are heaving and when it's dull and overcast, Sunny day kiss of death for those pegs.
                      :p :) :p

Comment

i noticed a thread advising bri to leave out 1 to 30 as they would be crap and according to crusty it was possible as there was no one else booked on the venue. wondered why these pegs were used ?
                        the carrot bites back:D
                        ooh you are awful!!

Comment

personally i think Brian should have left pegs 1 to 65 out and we should have stayed in the breakfast club and had a hand of cards but no one listens to me any more.....the breakfast was exceptional and yet again i fell in love with the waitress..there is no smiliey for lusting pervert so i decline leaving one
                          In darkness we do what we can
                          In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Originally posted by compleat tangler
                            i noticed a thread advising bri to leave out 1 to 30 as they would be crap and according to crusty it was possible as there was no one else booked on the venue. wondered why these pegs were used ?
                            WE were allocated pegs 1 to 45 with 40 anglers fishing peg 26 is no longer fishable so we had 4 pegs to leave out, yes there were no other matches on, the bailiff allocated the pegs he could have given us the others but chose to give us those, Stockton is a big fish water and those fish followed the wind the obvious key pegs had an island to hold the fish, by the time the advice criticsm slagging started I had already produced the draw sheets weighing in sheets etc, which left little or no time to seek a change of pegs, and on the day there were anglers fishing in some of the vacant pegs. Given some of the comments made it is not a big match venue, although it was voted on as the prefered venue by all the intersite forums. It is obvious that next years Midlands intersite should be on a better venue, where we all might catch a few fish I would suggest somewhere like Tunnel Barn but again would they give you 60 pegs for a forty peg match my guess is they wont, with some ending up fishing crap pegs, but even at that there would not be many anglers ending up with ounces as happened yesterday.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by cornerstone
                              Along with the other anglers im really ed off.
                              Known bad pegs were put in,and the match turned out to be an expensive day out.
                              £15 plus petrol,superpools £5
                              plus every bait imaginable,works out £30-£40,
                              still it wont happen to me again.
                              cornerstone.
                              Just a short responce to the above comments....

For those that dont know the water there were NO BAD PEGS used in the match.

EVERY peg that was used yesterday WILL AND DOES produce fish when the fish want to feed in that peg.

It really gets my back up with people that have no idea what FISHING is about and your post sums that up totally.

You fished at Rolfs and drew peg 21 and whined all day that it was rubbish and that was on your first and only visit there.

You have now fished Stockton on a few occasions in the same area and now say that is rubbish.

Well for information if the fish WANT TO FEED they will and if they dont then they wont.

As for needing to take every bait with you thats rubbish as it was YOUR CHOICE to take what bait you wanted.

Having fished EVERY PEG at Stockton at least 3 times and as i told anyone that bothered to ask the only bait that is or was needed was pellet for feed and Paste or Catmeat for the hook for the carp, and maggot or caster for bits.

Just maybe it's the anglers on the pegs that make them bad, to many people yesterday were trying to many things (as is normal for match anglers) rather than working at just 1 or max 2 different things.

Fish have fins and tend to SWIM in different areas and just because they are not swimming in front of you does not mean the swim is bad.

Stockton has ALWAYS been a water that switches on late in the day.

But i know that i for 1 would rather sit at a water like Stockton than a feature less puddle such as the ponds at Tunnel Barn.
                              [B]MALC[/B]
                              [COLOR="Red"][B]THE JINX[/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X