Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Which Rod and Reel for Newbie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Rod and Reel for Newbie?

Hi all
    I am new to angling and am currently in the process of buying my own gear instead of having to borrow my friend's stuff.

I'm a bit stuck on which rod and reel to buy, and wondered if anyone has any suggestions. There seem so many types - carp, match, float, feeder, quiver etc. I'm getting a bit confused!

I intend to fish rivers mainly, with the odd lake now and then. I want a rod that will allow me to use both floats and ledgers/feeders, and a reel that will work well in the same situations.

I visited my local shop yesterday and they suggested a Okuma reel which was about £30 and an avon rod which was about £60. This is about as much as I want to spend at the moment as I have other stuff to buy.

Any suggestions that you can give would be very much appreciated.

All the best.

Michael

you can get a okuma interceptor 30 bait runner which would allow you to float fish and ledger....£19.99 great value i have had one for 2 seasons without any hiccups....the rod i will leave to my more learned colleagues to sugest
    In darkness we do what we can
    In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

shakespeare match rod

and liek larry said

an okuma interceptor

this set up should cost you about £40

but the rod is good enough for silverfish and the odd carp up to 13lb cause thats the biggest carp ive had on this rod
      [COLOR="SeaGreen"]carp fisher!but its a bream![/COLOR]

Comment

Don't go to Argos! is a good tip, most of there rods my mates have brought have gone wrong or just can do a good job.

Shimano Catana BX Match Rod is a brillant rod, my one is perfect for river fishing i was using it the other day, and i think it could handle a light feeder nice and is'nt to heavy to catch little fish either.
        :D I'll fish anytime and anywhere (as you can see).:D

Comment

Go to the Wychavon,Evesham Bank Holiday weekend and grab a bargain rod and reel!!
          John - Kingfisher
          Talk Angling Senior Member
          Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

How much stick gave you given the Okuma interceptor ? and am always concerned that they will explode and puke gears and bearings all over me. I don't know why though.
            [url=http://www.englishfishingguide.co.uk]Carp Fishing[/url] | [url=http://www.fishing-blog.co.uk]Bass Fishing[/url] | [url=http://www.visitdevonandcornwall.com]Holiday cottage cornwall[/url]

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the strength of the reel, havent seen one blow up yet, I know a few lads who use them for both Barbel and big carp. and the new improved model seems even better made.
              [url]www.falcontackle.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Working...
              X