Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

floating pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floating pole

i would like to know the best way to fish the floating pole. i tried last week but my pole sank! how do you set it up etc
    i try hard, but sometimes.......

You need to get the pole very low to the water for a start - ideally when the butt is in your hand it wants to be about a foot off the water.

You also want a pole rest that will stop it moving side to side if there is any wind or drift.

Your pole probably sank if you werent using a stonfo - you need this type of connector when floating the pole as it blocks up the hole in the end and stops water getting in.

Just hope that certain members of this site dont see the "floating pole" being discussed as they will jump all over it!!

All you need is 18" of line from the elastic to the hook and thats it.
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

mmmmmn theres a surprise floating pole is that legal
      In darkness we do what we can
      In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Unless fishery bans it!!
        John - Kingfisher
        Talk Angling Senior Member
        Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

i have only tried it once. i suppose its quite a revered method because from what i have seen of it being used, it seems to take a certain skill out of fishing. i personally dont see it as a problem to be honest. if its a way of putting more fish in the net than others then surely its a good thing for match anglers. is it not? whats the difference between this method and fishing a blob shallow, still only using 18 inch of line? is it simply people dont like it because you dont have the pole over your legs with it in your hands and you have it between your feet? is it because there is only a hook on the line or what? its only natural that people will have different opinions. why do places ban it? is it detromental to the health and wellfare of the fish? or is it a jealousy thing because "my poles longer than yours"?. i have fished club matches where i have seen lads using the method with mixed results. i thought that the purpose of this forum was to allow questions to be asked without predudice,and replies the same. obviously some lads like it and some dont, but to be honest, that doesnt seem to be the case sometimes. teapot. i read a lot of your threads and find most of them very usefull indeed, trying out things you suggest to people etc. you have banter with posters that you obviously know well and have a rapport with them. fair play to you mate, but sometimes it would be good if you could post replies back to people you dont know that well with a degree of sense an understanding that some people just want some advice. sorry to go on lads, but i welcome all the advice that i get on here. when i post a question, i check back most days to see if anyone has replied so i can use the advice they have left. sometimes its just sarcastic comments.
          i try hard, but sometimes.......

Comment

Its bloody cheating
            Team Mosella Black Country

Sex is like Poker.
            If you havnt got a good partner.
            Then you better have a good Hand

Comment

I'm a below average match fisherman when it comes to carp on puddles, but I have had a measure of success when floating the pole. This is probably because if the carp will have it up in the water I can feed easily over the top of the floating pole and I do!! My pole for carp is a liitle heavier than some of the matchmens on this site (Shakespeare Superteam) I have sealed off the top 5 with bullet noses and this helps it to float.If it's allowed it can be a winner!! Strange that when something works it's banned!! When It is I revert to fishing a couple of feet of line ,no float and the carp hook themselves just as when floating the pole.Feeding is with an Eezefeeda which can feed with only one hand! You're right we could do without the sarcasm!!
              John - Kingfisher

Comment

Devilfisher3, the p**s taking on this and other forums is just an extension of the match scene and it is obvious which bits of advise to take seriously and which bits not.

An example is rive t he is always serious and never goes for wind ups. By the way when i fish my pole at 16 mtrs i have to have at least 5 mtrs in the water when the wind is blowing otherwise it will have me of my box. Therfor, it can't be cheating.
                Steve Davies

Comment

I cant believe what i have just read. "I use a couple of feet of line no float and the carp hook themselves"

Its just like i said BLOODY CHEATING.
                  Team Mosella Black Country

Sex is like Poker.
                  If you havnt got a good partner.
                  Then you better have a good Hand

Comment

I believe/agree you're entitled to YOUR opinion!!
                    John - Kingfisher

Comment

Ultimatley we all go out to catch fish and as keen matchmen we have developed a miriad of skills that enable us to do that, all of these methods are available to everyone, There are no restrictions on who uses them. The only restrictions are those set out in club/fishery rules and anyone fishing within those rules "Cannot" be cheating. I have to say that if anyone fishes any venue without being up to speed with fishery/club rules does so at the risk of throwing pool money away. Its also a good idea to do some homework before you fish. No point in being under gunned. Its no good whingin about the guy in the next peg sackin up because YOU dont approve of their methods or you simply haven,t got the gear or the skills to compete

Comment

Hi Woody! You're of course right. No disobeying fishery/club rules!! That's cheating!
                        John - Kingfisher

Comment

Originally posted by woody1
                          Ultimatley we all go out to catch fish and as keen matchmen we have developed a miriad of skills that enable us to do that, all of these methods are available to everyone, There are no restrictions on who uses them. The only restrictions are those set out in club/fishery rules and anyone fishing within those rules "Cannot" be cheating. I have to say that if anyone fishes any venue without being up to speed with fishery/club rules does so at the risk of throwing pool money away. Its also a good idea to do some homework before you fish. No point in being under gunned. Its no good whingin about the guy in the next peg sackin up because YOU dont approve of their methods or you simply haven,t got the gear or the skills to compete
                          Spot on Woody.

I cant see its cheating just because fish hook themselves. The method feeder and bagging waggler are also self hooking devices so are they cheating aswell?

Comment

Hi woody of course if its not banned its not cheating but it does take the skill out of fishing to which you intimate. Rather than coppying floating pole he would be better served practising catching up in the water, getting the presentation right and feeding right. only my opinion though.
                            Steve Davies

Comment

D.N.W I fish a water close to uttoxeter that has a feature anything between 18 and 24 metres from your peg. There are 31 pegs on the water and 10 pegs around the feature which gives you roughly a 33 percent chance of drawing a feature. The most effective way of competing on these feature pegs is to float the pole simply because the banks on the feature are undercut to about a metre and fishing short is like waching paint dry. What you,re saying is "i know i,ll sack up on the floating pole but i,ll settle for a bad match because fishin up in the water etc is fairer or if i draw any of these pegs i,ll go home because i dont advocate fishing the floating pole.

Comment

Working...
                              X